[NatureNS] Protected areas; ATV use-some thoughts for moose and trout

From: bev wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 09:26:51 -0500
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&gt; 4) In event of fire is the standard pract

--Apple-Mail-3C2799B7-9AA5-4C8A-BC5F-8F570A0E325B

Donna, and all,

Very much agree with what Donna has written.  For several years, I was invol=
ved with a forest services committee in the Ottawa area.  There was an ATV-s=
nowmobile club that continuously lobbied to claim access to almost all of th=
e large municipal managed forest.  The leaders of the club attended every me=
eting and I expect they themselves were well meaning and no doubt ethical wi=
th their own use of the trails, but unfortunately, they had no true control o=
ver other members or non-member ATVers who also used the trails.  In my time=
 spent at the forest, I saw a boardwalk through a bog destroyed by ATVers wh=
o drove large machines onto it, breaking slats and causing it to flip over f=
or its entire length.   A neat little rustic x-country ski shelter was burnt=
 up by a party fire made with old junk such as foam mattresses hauled into t=
he woods by ATV.  Several ATVers pretty much destroyed the wetland area just=
 below the dam on a small lake funded by Ducks Unlimited by driving back and=
 forth through it doing "mud crawls" (look that up if you don't know the ter=
m).  A hiking trail intended as a "pedestrian-only nature walk" around the s=
ame  lake was ripped all to hell by ATVers who just *had* to go there instea=
d of staying on the dozens of ATV-permitted forest trails.  A colony of fair=
ly rare Walking Ferns was destroyed by ATVs that used the rock face they gre=
w from as a place to try rock-face climbing and also as a detour to bypass a=
 barrier that blocked off a pedestrian trail.  ATV barriers were repeatedly j=
erked loose from pedestrian trailheads by people using 4x4s and chains and/o=
r winches.   I could go on at length, but what's the point?  I have tried to=
 be open to the idea of ATV use on public lands, but it is difficult to feel=
 any degree of support after seeing incredible acts of destruction, not just=
 in Ontario, but in Nova Scotia, and most certainly down in the southwest US=
 where ATVs proliferate by the thousands.  No matter where I have travelled,=
 if there is an area of natural trails intended to be restricted to non-moto=
rized use - there will I find barriers torn down and senseless habitat destr=
uction.  I just can't feel much optimism that things will be different in No=
va Scotia.

And, much like Donna, the rail line through the Valley goes past my place to=
o.  ATVers already use this section of trail and the noise on weekends in sp=
ring and autumn, and often many weekdays in summer, is absolutely appalling a=
t times.   I rarely walk on that trail with my dogs as the ATVs come racing t=
hrough too fast and it is hard to crush off into the dense brush on either s=
ide of the trail to get out of their way.  In the earthier sections of trail=
, after a rain, the mud is churned up as deep as my ankles.  All in all, it m=
akes the trail quite useless for pedestrians or bicycles.  Oh well.  If this=
 is what people want, I guess this is what we will get.

Bev Wigney

On 2016-01-24, at 10:33 AM, Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Sadly, there is a minority among the ATV groups who have carelessly litter=
ed remote locations, and far worse, can fish out previously hard-to-get to r=
emote streams with healthy trout populations.  Fires have been carelessly st=
arted that led to wildfires (e.g., one that I have noted on the =E2=80=98fir=
e roads=E2=80=99 recently, which we taxpayers must pay to put out.  There is=
 no =E2=80=98let it burn=E2=80=99 policy in place, as NS is too small for th=
is concept which is more appropriate for other ecosystems such as the vast b=
oreal). =20
>=20
> =20

--Apple-Mail-3C2799B7-9AA5-4C8A-BC5F-8F570A0E325B

l years, I was involved with a forest services committee in the Ottawa area.=
 &nbsp;There was an ATV-snowmobile club that continuously lobbied to claim a=
ccess to almost all of the large municipal managed forest. &nbsp;The leaders=
 of the club attended every meeting and I expect they themselves were well m=
eaning and no doubt ethical with their own use of the trails, but unfortunat=
ely, they had no true control over other members or non-member ATVers who al=
so used the trails. &nbsp;In my time spent at the forest, I saw a boardwalk t=
hrough a bog destroyed by ATVers who drove large machines onto it, breaking s=
lats and causing it to flip over for its entire length. &nbsp; A neat little=
 rustic x-country ski shelter was burnt up by a party fire made with old jun=
k such as foam mattresses hauled into the woods by ATV. &nbsp;Several ATVers=
 pretty much destroyed the wetland area just below the dam on a small lake f=
unded by Ducks Unlimited by driving back and forth through it doing "mud cra=
wls" (look that up if you don't know the term). &nbsp;A hiking trail intende=
d as a "pedestrian-only nature walk" around the same &nbsp;lake was ripped a=
ll to hell by ATVers who just *had* to go there instead of staying on the do=
zens of ATV-permitted forest trails. &nbsp;A colony of fairly rare Walking Fe=
rns was destroyed by ATVs that used the rock face they grew from as a place t=
o try rock-face climbing and also as a detour to bypass a barrier that block=
ed off a pedestrian trail. &nbsp;ATV barriers were repeatedly jerked loose f=
rom pedestrian trailheads by people using 4x4s and chains and/or winches. &n=
bsp; I could go on at length, but what's the point? &nbsp;I have tried to be=
 open to the idea of ATV use on public lands, but it is difficult to feel an=
y degree of support after seeing incredible acts of destruction, not just in=
 Ontario, but in Nova Scotia, and most certainly down in the southwest US wh=
ere ATVs proliferate by the thousands. &nbsp;No matter where I have travelle=
d, if there is an area of natural trails intended to be restricted to non-mo=
torized use - there will I find barriers torn down and senseless habitat des=
truction. &nbsp;I just can't feel much optimism that things will be differen=
ne through the Val