[NatureNS] Vancouver has new "bird strategy"

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:11:31 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:offic
--001a113ec9985bd4b8052a1938c7

Patrick..i hate science when it castigates my sacred cats! We now agree to
reduce the impact.

..and make sure we nova Scotians provide a bird friendly landscape.

Thanks
Nick
On Jan 24, 2016 11:52 AM, "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
wrote:

> Hi Nick & All,                        Jan 24, 2016
>      I agree Nick. As you likely are aware, cat is a four letter word on
> Naturens for many flawed reasons. Some cats are, without doubt, born
> hunters and this trait was at one time highly regarded as in "the mother is
> a great mouser". But most current cats are born couch potatoes.
>
>     In our own yard we have had shortening available year round for 4
> (?) years (and over winter for >45 years), within easy leap of an
> interested cat, and about 10 neighbourhood cats who wander in and out from
> time to time. But I have seen a cat expressing interest in birds only once
> and it took off like a scared cat when I tapped on the window.
>
>     Apart from the odd Shrew dropped on the doorstep the only cat/other
> animal interaction I have observed in our yard is our cat being hounded
> indoors many times one summer by a Blue Jay with a nearby nest and out cat
> being attacked by a Raccoon who had apparently forgotten to go back home
> before dawn.
>
>     And yes it is best all round to keep cats in at night and harmless to
> let them run in the daytime but punish if necessary undue interest in
> birds.
>
>     This would a wonderful world, that beats even the song of that name,
> if our worst problem was cats snoring in some patch of  sunlight outdoors.
>
> Yt, DW, Kentville

e now agree to reduce the impact. </p>
dscape.</p>
Nick</p>
on Webster&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com">dwebster@glinx.c=
om</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote"=
 style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u=
></u>

=C2=A0=20
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Jan 24, 2016</div>
e,=20
cat is a four letter word on Naturens for many flawed reasons. Some cats ar=
e,=20
withou