[NatureNS] Vancouver has new "bird strategy"

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:28:43 -0400

--------------060208050301070700010007

Feral sharp-shinned hawks are estimated at 500,000 in North America.  If
each one killed one small bird a day, that would be 180,000,000
fatalities a year.  In my experience sharpies have killed more birds in
my backyard than have cats.  However, this is not a scientific
conclusion as I haven't been constantly watching my backyard for a
period and would have missed some interactions.  I may also tend to
remember the sharpies because of the mess they leave, with feathers
everywhere and blood on the snow.

I would assume that feral cats would kill more than the 2/3 attributed
to them.  They are hungry and need to eat.  House cats are generally
well fed and kill for the fun of it occasionally.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net

--------------060208050301070700010007

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      500,000 in North America.  If each one killed one small bird a
      day, that would be 180,000,000 fatalities a year.  In my
      experience sharpies have killed more birds in my backyard than
      have cats.  However, this is not a scientific conclusion as I
      haven't been constantly watching my backyard for a period and
      would have missed some interactions.  I may also tend to remember
      the sharpies because of the mess they leave, with feathers
      everywhere and blood on the snow.<br>
      I would assume that feral cats would kill more than the 2/3
      attributed to them.  They are hungry and need to eat.  House cats
      are generally well fed and kill for the fun of it occasionally.<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
cite="mid:SN1PR18MB0381308242DE3AEA374B65A9B7C60@SN1PR18MB0381.namprd18.prod.outlook.com"
      type="cite">