[NatureNS] Public consultation re use of pesticide... GMO crops and loss of weedy species

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=24.224.157.232; helo=D58WQPH1; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 11:54:09 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0362_01D15F42.C203BC40

Hi Paul & All,                            Feb 4, 2016
    The topic resembles one of those rockets which are used to open a =
fireworks display; one streak of light upward (or perhaps streak of heat =
would be more appropriate) and then a starburst or sparks flying off in =
all directions.=20
    To carry this analogy further note that it is not practicable to =
stuff these sparks back into rocket cylinder and drag that cylinder down =
the shaft of heat to the launching pad. Nor is it feasible to snuff out =
all of these sparks. One must study the characteristics and driving =
forces of the launching pad and act as opportunity arises.
    Shortly after WWII farm help was paid $0.25 per hour, worked a 60 =
hour week and eggs were $0.75 a dozen. Farmers and family members worked =
70-80 hours a week. Even if it were possible I don't think it would be =
desirable to go back to those conditions.
    Horizon to horizon monoculture is just one of many examples of =
environmantal degradation; absolutely serious but driven by economic =
forces. And the wallet is all powerful, in the arena of economic forces, =
if you care to use it. Support local small farmers and in time this =
aberation will fade away. Eat local fish etc.
    Pesticides are the backbone of our economy but there is every reason =
to oppose use for frivolous reasons (lawn care, Japanese Knotweed =
control, Glossy Buckthorn control) and also reason to tweak agricultural =
use downward when the opportunity arises.
    Some decades ago it became fashionable to spray lawns with broad =
spectrum insecticides. The lawns at the Kentville Research Station were =
no exception. When I asked our Director why the farm did this he assured =
me it was not happening, I assured him it was and shortly after it =
stopped happening. Not a big dent in misuse of insecticides but change =
does take place when enough people do what they can, where they are, =
with what they have.
    Back in the 70s Simazine had begun to come into use in orchards here =
with the objective of total weed control along the three row. Based on =
observation, I argued against this approach and for "Partial Weed =
Control"; a temporary knock down of weeds with a low dose of Paraquat =
(drawing on memory) to reduce competition early in the year and with =
many side benefits; better snow cover (drifting snow trapped by tall =
late season weed growth), less frost penetration, less heaving of trees, =
less tree lean and less soil erosion by wind and water. This approach =
soon became widely adopted here at least as long as I was around.=20
    One way to decrease use of herbicides on lawns is to not use them, =
avoid the rotary mower except for paths and leaf mulching, mow by =
exception using a hand scythe. Lead by example and in time the followers =
will begin to follow.
Yt, Dave Webster Kentville

   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20