[NatureNS] Public consultation re use of pesticide... GMO crops

Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 16:28:09 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

n style=3D"font-weight: bold;"&gt;From:&l
--001a113ea5f0b0ebb0052af792fc

this supposed contrast between forest and arable land lacks logic.

1. woodland does get depleted as a lot of Ca is in organic form and we
already said 27% lost per full harvest and Ca critically low in NS and
losses exacerbated by acidification
2. farmland is fertilized, gets depleted, it is limed. Farmland gets
leached, nutrients and soil goes into rivers. Witness Cornwallis River, the
Mississippi and the dead zone Gulf of Mexico, or the nitrate in the well
water in the UK.

Let's quit here before we are dragged through another illogical gyre.

Point made that we don't want to lose: We are concerned with state of
nature and where forestry or agriculture threaten that, naturalists have a
voice and will use it.

Nick