[NatureNS] two trees to buy a pizza or would we rather a car

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 09:30:54 -0500
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: karstad@pinicola.ca

Quoting NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>:

> On a related note to the excellent article Donna linked to was this
> CBC radio interview with David Suzuki I heard last evening. Where,
> among other things,  he discussed the Native American view of
> humanity's connection to the forest as an extension of ourselves:
> http://www.cbc.ca/radio/unreserved/building-an-ally-non-indigenous-people-share-their-stories-of-bridge-building-1.3430628/david-suzuki-s-world-view-profoundly-influenced-by-haida-ties-1.3433869

* "the word for world is forest" as somebody once said. It's
interesting to hear that about David Suzuki - the Haida were certainly
gumption-rich in those days, and it was when we were there from
1987-1989 - http://www.pinicola.ca/books/index.htm#Cunshewa - and saw
the Council of the Haida Nation taking on a diversity of tasks that
the commercial gov'ts of Canada and BC were ignoring, that we formed
our so-far-unresponded-to idea of natural history museums being
biocentric alternative gov'ts for their territories -
http://pinicola.ca/AdoptX.htm - http://pinicola.ca/G2003A.HTM -
http://pinicola.ca/m2002b.htm - I often wish there were some way to
test the hypothesis that First Nations could solve a lot of their
social problems of aimlessness, and their lack of clout with
commercial enterprises and gov'ts, by expressing their love and
stewardship for their territory through establishing networks of
scientific natural history museums.

fred.

> On 2016-02-07, at 9:11 PM, Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
>> This forest article was forwarded to me by Jon Percy.  Bob Bancroft
>> has also circulated around to some, but it is worth ensuring that
>> everyone sees it.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/world/europe/german-forest-ranger-finds-that-trees-have-social-networks-too.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
>>
>> The parts I enjoyed-
>>
>> " in nature, trees operate less like individuals and more as
>> communal beings. Working together in networks and sharing
>> resources, they increase their resistance."
>>
>> "In one forest, they said, when they wanted to buy a car, they cut
>> two trees. For us, at the time, two trees would buy you a pizza."
>>
>> " that trees in the forest are social beings. They can count, learn
>> and remember; nurse sick neighbors; warn each other of danger by
>> sending electrical signals across a fungal network known as the
>> "Wood Wide Web"; and, for reasons unknown, keep the ancient stumps
>> of long-felled companions alive for centuries by feeding them a
>> sugar solution through their roots."
>>
>> This should be required reading for all personnel who 'manage' our forests.
>>
>> If we want folks to relate to the forest on a more personal level,
>> other than as a simple entity to mow down for relatively low
>> profit, this way of describing our forests may be a good approach.

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       Mudpuppy Night - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     ANNUAL LETTER NOW POSTED AT - http://pinicola.ca/aboutus.htm