[NatureNS] two trees to buy a pizza or would we rather a car with

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 11:43:39 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1142702c95010b052b44109b

Trees have been called environmental engineers as they make habitat and set
up the food web. We are very lucky to have neighbours that let us walk and
bring kids through their woods that are in good condition with large mature
trees of pines and hemlock. We saw the strips of tree felling from the
microbursts that we called the Berwick Blow of a few winters ago that took
out some 200 year old hemlock but we also see blow down along a line
between two properties where still another neighbour has clearcut and it
has made it not possible to ski in the adjacent uncut property over a 40m
width due to blow down.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:06 AM, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com=

wrote:

> Hi Dusan,
>     Yes and no. A sufficiently high wind can mow a swath through
> undisturbed forest. And counting Dec 13, 2010 (ignoring Juan because it w=
as
> local) we have had two high winds recently; one even in May, 2013 (?). An=
> many winds which finish the job or start fresh ones.
>     The Kentville ravine is a good example; the 2010 wind felled a
> significant area of Hemlock/hardwood. In my woods more Poplar went over
> than 5 households could use both as 'scattered' trees of up to 6 in one
> domino and two areas (~1 acre & 2 acres) where nearly every tree went
> down. Most large Spruce which survived 2010 were taken in 2013.
>
>     I think we are in a new era of damaging winds. Note that Juan took
> large trees and spared medium trees. With regard to canopy protection thi=
> no doubt helps but if trees grow with space they are better anchored than
> trees which grow crowded.
> Yt, DW

-that-trees-have-social-networks-too.html?hp&action=3Dclick&pgtype=3DHomepa=
ge&clickSource=3Dstory-heading&module=3Dsecond-column-region&region=3Dtop-n=
ews&WT.nav=3Dtop-news&_r=3D0