[NatureNS] two trees to buy a pizza or would we rather a car with

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 14:53:43 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&lt;html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" x
--001a114363784d6e16052b46b869

Hey John
yes tree roots are purported to be amazing N and P pumps and can take up
nutrients before they reach waterways..90% range according to Maltby who
was working on big rivers of Europe.
when you lose trees you lose these pumps and go to lower functional states
and herbaceous plants arent a lick on trees.

The tree was an engineer of floodplains in big ways and we lost a lot of
that when we converted floodplain for agriculture. This floodplain forest
is what supports a good group of the Appalachian Deciduous Forest
species..bloodroot, blue cohosh Canada violet (?) wild coffee, Canada Lily,
wild garlic, yellow violets, toothwort, Solomon's plume..and this is the
habitat we need right now to let us preserve the diversity that is
expanding northward and may be eliminated from Kentucky in time. I'm
looking forward to being able to eat pawpaws, crush spicebush leaves and
swing on forest grape vines in my nineties in Nova Scotia but first we need
to secure and restore floodplain habitat.

must be midwinter