[NatureNS] Wooly Worm Caterpillar

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 07:12:02 -0400

--------------090907050804040700030506

A program on TV last night showed great time-lapse footage of this.  A
Wooly Bear goes under a rock in the Arctic as winter approaches.  Its
heart stops and blood freezes. In the Spring he thaws out and is ready
to go again.  Fascinating.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 08/02/2016 8:34 PM, Ken J MacAulay wrote:
> James, if you meant the woolly bear caterpillar of the Isabella Tiger
> Moth (pyrrharctia isabella), if it doesn’t get squished, it will thaw
> out in the spring and pupate.  I saw one crawling on the pavement
> beside my car in last Saturday’s sunshine and was quite surprised at
> how active it was.
> Ken MacAulay
> Port Mouton, NS

--------------090907050804040700030506

  <head>
  </head>
      time-lapse footage of this.  A Wooly Bear goes under a rock in the
      Arctic as winter approaches.  Its heart stops and blood freezes.
      In the Spring he thaws out and is ready to go again.  Fascinating.<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
          #000000">
            Isabella Tiger Moth (pyrrharctia isabella), if it doesn’t
            get squished, it will thaw out in the spring and pupate.  I
            saw one crawling on the pavement beside my car in last
            Saturday’s sunshine and was quite surprised at how active it
            was.</div>

--------------090907050804040700030506--