[NatureNS] Florida report

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Full-name: Hubcove
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 08:22:10 -0500
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--part1_4aefeb.302fb49e.43ec9382_boundary

I don't usually stay on Naturens in the winter because of WiFi issues but
thought  Maritimers might be interested in the report of a right whale and
calf that decided to visit the Sebastion Inlet just North of us in Vero
Beach.
The whale, which apparently is well known as "Clipper" by whale watchers
and her 20ft long calf spent over a day in the inlet and did not appear to be
in  any distress. They exited the inlet yesterday and headed out to sea.
The inlet  being only about 500 to 600 feet wide made for some great whale
watching.
Another smaller highlight was rescuing three baby stingrays at the tideline
 on my first beach walk. They had been caught in the surf and it took a
couple of  throws to get them back into deeper water. They appeared to be
newborn and I  suspect that the mother gave birth in the gully just outside the
surf and the  young could not escape the surf.
Lots of great birds including several sandhill cranes before we had even
left the airport boundaries in Orlando. Also a Roseate Spoonbill feeding in a
 drainage ditch in Vero Beach. We seldom see them any more.
Fairly cool here but at least no snow.

Peter Stow
Vero Beach
--part1_4aefeb.302fb49e.43ec9382_boundary

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.17690"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D3 face=3DArial>
<DIV>I don't usually stay on Naturens in the winter because of WiFi issues=
 but=20
thought&nbsp; Maritimers might be interested in the report of a right whal=
e and=20
calf that decided to visit the Sebastion Inlet just North of us in Vero=20
Beach.</DIV>
<DIV>The whale, which apparently is well known as "Clipper" by whale watch=
ers=20
and her 20ft long calf spent over a day in the inlet and did not appear to=
 be in=20
any distress. They exited the inlet yesterday and headed out to sea. The=
 inlet=20
being only about 500 to 600 feet wide made for some great whale watching.<=
/DIV>
<DIV>Another smaller highlight was rescuing three baby stingrays at the ti=
deline=20
on my first beach walk. They had been caught in the surf and it took a cou=
ple of=20
throws to get them back into deeper water. They appeared to be newborn and=
 I=20
suspect that the mother gave birth in the gully just outside the surf and=
 the=20
young could not escape the surf.</DIV>
<DIV>Lots of great birds including several sandhill cranes before we had=
 even=20
left the airport boundaries in Orlando. Also a Roseate Spoonbill feeding=
 in a=20
drainage ditch in Vero&nbsp;Beach. We seldom see them any more.</DIV>
<DIV>Fairly cool here but at least no snow.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>Vero Beach</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_4aefeb.302fb49e.43ec9382_boundary--