[NatureNS] Biomass Petition - please circulate through your groups

Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 12:20:47 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

//
--001a11430242b44a14052c9a90fe

Jim, it's fine and gets the point across.

I would not have said, Premier you are destroying ...but the concern over
wholesale clearing of standing organic on a landscape to generate
supposedly Green power is alarming.

When we remove a photosynthetic forest canopy that has slowed down in
carbon sequestration, there may be a young forest that succeeds in several
years to take its place and this forest will have higher ratio of carbon
fixed to carbon respired. This much is so but haven't these analyses been
done? Where old growth is cleared, there is an almost total loss of the
organic forest floor layer. That's carbon as well as nutrient store.

Why are some people resisting the idea that harvesting biomass reduces
structure, nutrient capital and stored carbon? Only 40% of people believe
that humans are the main cause of the current climate change and this
number is more than halved when Fort McMurray residents are polled.

Follow the money

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
wrote:

> Thanks for this, Dave.  Below is point no. 3 that you criticized (from
> Helga Guderley=E2=80=99s petition) =E2=80=94 could you elaborate a bit on=
 why that point is
> not sound?  Thanks and Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.
>
> 3. The Nova Scotia Power biomass boiler relies overwhelmingly on primary
> harvesting =E2=80=93 trees clear-cut and chipped solely for power generat=
ion. Its
> =E2=80=9Cmust run=E2=80=9D status is due to the need for steam at the Por=
t Hawkesbury Paper
> mill, not because it is sustainable. Biomass energy derived from primary
> harvesting increases carbon emissions for many decades, unthinkable at a
> time when humans need to reduce their carbon footprint.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From: *David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
> *Subject: **Re: [NatureNS] Biomass Petition - please circulate through
> your groups*
> *Date: *February 25, 2016 at 8:42:35 AM AST
> *To: *naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>
> Thanks Heather & Bob. Point #3 is not sound but 5 out of 6 was a good
> grade when I went to school so I signed it and forwarded the petition to
> Facebook.
>
> Yt, DW, Kentville

ia-s-forest-for-biomass-power-generation?recruiter=3D110029095&utm_source=
=3Dshare_petition&utm_medium=3Demail&utm_campaign=3Dshare_email_responsive

> Please circulate by any other means you think appropriate!
> Thanks!
>
> Heather Drope, Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society and representative to the
> board of Nature Nova Scotia
>
> __._,_.___
7;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJwbDRyc3BnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI3OTAyNDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNz=
A1MTcxMzk3BG1zZ0lkAzcyNDcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxNDU2MjU2NzA0?act=
=3Dreply&messageNum=3D7247>
> =E2=80=A2 Reply to sender
> <wild1@eastlink.ca?subject=3DRe%3A%20Biomass%20Petition%20-%20please%20ci=
rculate%20through%20your%20groups>
> =E2=80=A2 Reply to group
> <fnsnboard@yahoogroups.com?subject=3DRe%3A%20Biomass%20Petition%20-%20ple=
ase%20circulate%20through%20your%20groups>
> =E2=80=A2 Start a New Topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fnsnboard/conversations/newtopic;_yl=
c=3DX3oDMTJlaW90b3N1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI3OTAyNDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTc=
xMzk3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTQ1NjI1NjcwNA-->
> =E2=80=A2 Messages in this topic
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fnsnboard/conversations/topics/7247;=
_ylc=3DX3oDMTM0cGwyZm9rBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI3OTAyNDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1=
MTcxMzk3BG1zZ0lkAzcyNDcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxNDU2MjU2NzA0BHRwY0l=
kAzcyNDc->
>  (1)
> VISIT YOUR GROUP
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/fnsnboard/info;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJldmk0Mj=
ZwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI3OTAyNDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTcxMzk3BHNlYwN2dGwEc=
2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTQ1NjI1NjcwNA-->
> [image: Yahoo! Groups]
> <https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=3DX3oDMTJkN3BvZnR1BF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdy=
cElkAzI3OTAyNDMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTcxMzk3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxNDU=
2MjU2NzA0>
> =E2=80=A2 Privacy <https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details=
.html> =E2=80=A2
> Unsubscribe <fnsnboard-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=3DUnsubscribe>=
 =E2=80=A2 Terms
> of Use <https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/>
>
> .
> [image: Web Bug from
> http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=3D97359714/grpId=3D2790243/grpspId=3D17051713=
97/msgId=3D7247/stime=3D1456256704]

> [image: Web Bug from
> http://y.analytics.yahoo.com/fpc.pl?ywarid=3D515FB27823A7407E&a=3D1000131=
0322279&js=3Dno&resp=3Dimg]
> __,_._,___
>

> No virus found in this message.
6

--001a11430242b44a14052c9a90fe

v><div>I would not have said, Premier you are destroying ...but the concern=
 over wholesale clearing of standing organic on a landscape to generate sup=
photosynthetic forest canopy that has slowed down in carbon sequestration, =
there may be a young forest that succeeds in several years to take its plac=
e and this forest will have higher ratio of carbon fixed to carbon respired=
. This much is so but haven&#39;t these analyses been done? Where old growt=
h is cleared, there is an almost total loss of the organic forest floor lay=
hy are some people resisti