[NatureNS] Yard Birds

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:07:11 -0200

--_3435344a-2fec-48e9-b973-cf58e41be41f_

This morning when it was snowing=2C a good variety of birds showed up in ou=
r backyard. Robins were feeding (at first) on holly berries (I had to cut b=
ack the bush so not many berries left) & then shifted to cotoneaster bushes=
. I didn't expect there was anything edible on the latter. Only a few Grack=
les but many Siskins=2C Song Sparrows=2C Purple Finches=2C & the usual Junc=
os=2C Goldfinches & Chickadees. Among them was one male C. Redpoll. I saw p=
robably the same one about a month ago but not since. (Not a good winter wh=
en a redpoll is news!).

There was a Turkey Vulture reported dead (pics) on Facebook from Bay St. La=
wrence (N. Cape Breton) today. Not rare there although perhaps so at this t=
ime of year. The interesting part was that its head had been cut off=2C lik=
ely predated by a Great Horned Owl. The latter are known to prey on crows w=
hile they're roosting so a TV would not be a stretch.=20
Angus (in Coldbrook)
 		 	   		  =

--_3435344a-2fec-48e9-b973-cf58e41be41f_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
=2C a good variety of birds showed up in our backyard. Robins were feeding =
(at first) on holly berries (I had to cut back the bush so not many berries=
 left) &amp=3B then shifted to cotoneaster bushes. I didn't expect there wa=
s anything edible on the latter. Only a few Grackles but many Siskins=2C So=
ng Sparrows=2C Purple Finches=2C &amp=3B the usual Juncos=2C Goldfinches &a=
mp=3B Chickadees. Among them was one male C. Redpoll. I saw probably the sa=
me one about a month ago but not since. (Not a good winter when a redpoll i=
s news!).<br><br>There was a Turkey Vulture reported dead (pics) on Faceboo=
k from Bay St. Lawrence (N. Cape Breton) today. Not rare there although per=
haps so at this time of year. The interesting part was that its head had be=
en cut off=2C likely predated by a Great Horned Owl. The latter are known t=
o prey on crows while they're roosting so a TV would not be a stretch. <br>=

--_3435344a-2fec-48e9-b973-cf58e41be41f_--