[NatureNS] re summer tanagers in N.S. -- was strange red bird

From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 18:27:38 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

at the summer tanager in N.S. is a &amp;#39;regular rar

--Apple-Mail=_603A06B6-40C3-4717-BB99-55AA61B1BC0B

THANKS, RICHARD!  My most recent sighting of a summer tanager was of a =
female (or imm.?) in downtown Canning in December, several years ago, a =
bit before Merritt Gibson passed away.  I quickly reported it to =
Richard, who promptly visited the site, tracked down the bird, and =
typically got some good photos of it for documentation and corroboration =
of my diagnosis.  Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] re summer tanagers in N.S. -- was strange red =
bird
> Date: March 31, 2016 at 5:36:47 PM ADT
> To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>=20
> A bright male Summer tanager appeared on the deck of a house in =
Morden, Kings Co, the first week of April 2009, and was found dead by =
the feeder on the 10th.
>=20
> R.
>=20
> On Thursday, 31 March 2016, Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> =
wrote:
> Lance and the others didn=92t really say that the summer tanager in =
N.S. is a 'regular rarity=92 in many different times of the year, with =
dozens of sightings and photos in a variety of regions since that very =
old reference to Tufts.  Check in Ian McLaren=92s recent reference book, =
=91All of the Birds of Nova Scotia?=92 for what he says of its status.  =
Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.
>=20
> Begin forwarded message:
>=20
>> From: "Laviolette, Lance" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
>> Subject: RE: [NatureNS] strange red bird
>> Date: March 31, 2016 at 11:33:02 AM ADT
>> To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>>=20
>> Hi John, and Nancy,
>> =20
>> There have been a number of additional sightings since Tufts was =
published. I would expect Summer Tanagers to be reported now and then =
along the Southshore and offshore islands (Particularly on BP and Seal =
which have birders on the lookout through much of the year).