[NatureNS] loons have arrived

From: <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 15:40:22 -0300

I have not yet noticed Loons on any of the lakes I pass by but this is a
good reminder to start watching for them.
Loons often get to the lakes early but usually don't start nesting till
after the middle of May or even into June. I suspect this period gives them
the best shot at getting through incubation without being flooded by spring
storms or left high and dry in drought.
Interestingly despite the late spring of 2015 nests at both Steverman Lake
outside Lunenburg and Mill Lake near exit 5 on Highway 103 hatched earlier
than in 2014. However it could be that Loons on Lakes farther inland were
delayed somewhat by even later ice-out.

Kevin Lantz