[NatureNS] Second Owl Route Down

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 04:08:53 +0000

--_000_SN2PR11MB009381580CB601E1746FE90EB5600SN2PR11MB0093namp_

I ran my second owl monitoring route on the evening of April 22.  This rout=
e starts at Rhodes Corner, runs through Whynott's Settlement and goes out t=
o Station Road and up through Sweetland.  Dorothy Poole and Kevin Lantz acc=
ompanied me.  We had six barred owls, but unlike other years these owls wer=
e all distant.  I noticed the same thing on my Lapland/Laconia route with t=
he exception of one owl.  In both cases owl numbers were down.  Also, no no=
rthern saw-whets on either route.  I don't know if they are later returning=
 or if it will be a poor year here for owls.

Of note on the route that I ran this evening.   It was a beautiful, warm ev=
ening compared to normal.  The wind was low and sound traveled nicely.  On =
the down side I rarely encounter ATVs while doing this route.  Maybe one if=
 I'm lucky.  This evening on six out of ten stops there were ATVs burning u=
p and down the road and very load in the wooded areas.  This put the noise =
level way up there.  Spring peepers were in fine form, but on half of the r=
oute wood frog numbers were way down.  On the other half of the route their=
 numbers were healthy and at a few locations very loud.  There also were pl=
entiful toads trilling at five out of ten stops.  We stopped to watch one l=
arge toad crossing the road.  I hardly ever see deer on that owl monitoring=
 route.  This evening they were everywhere.  We had two ruffed grouse drumm=
ing and one American woodcock.  A rodent or maybe a weasel crossed the road=
 in a wet boggy area at one point.  Loons are usually very vocal on this ro=
ute.  We heard none at all this evening.

James R. Hirtle

LaHave

--_000_SN2PR11MB009381580CB601E1746FE90EB5600SN2PR11MB0093namp_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
his route starts at Rhodes Corner, runs through Whynott's Settlement and go=
es out to Station Road and up through Sweetland.&nbsp; Dorothy Poole and Ke=
vin Lantz accompanied me.&nbsp; We had six barred
 owls, but unlike other years these owls were all distant.&nbsp; I noticed =
the same thing on my Lapland/Laconia route with the exception of one owl.&n=
bsp; In both cases owl numbers were down.&nbsp; Also, no northern saw-whets=
 on either route.&nbsp; I don't know if they are later
 returning or if it will be a poor year here for owls.&nbsp; </p>
iful, warm evening compared to normal.&nbsp; The wind was low and sound tra=
veled nicely.&nbsp; On the down side I rarely encounter ATVs while doing th=
is route.&nbsp; Maybe one if I'm lucky.&nbsp; This evening on
 six out of ten stops there were ATVs burning up and down the road and very=
 load in the wooded areas.&nbsp; This put the noise level way up there.&nbs=
p; Spring peepers were in fine form, but on half of the route wood frog num=
bers were way down.&nbsp; On the other half of
 the route their numbers were healthy and at a few locations very loud.&nbs=
p; There also were plentiful toads trilling at five out of ten stops.&nbsp;=
 We stopped to watch one large toad crossing the road.&nbsp; I hardly ever =
see deer on that owl monitoring route.&nbsp; This evening
 they were everywhere.&nbsp; We had two ruffed grouse drumming and one Amer=
ican woodcock.&nbsp; A rodent or maybe a weasel crossed the road in a wet b=
oggy area at one point.&nbsp; Loons are usually very vocal on this route.&n=
bsp; We heard none at all this evening.&nbsp;

--_000_SN2PR11MB009381580CB601E1746FE90EB5600SN2PR11MB0093namp_--