[NatureNS] Common Mergansers

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 07:41:51 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A male C Merganser was sitting just off the lakeshore early this morning quacking/croaking in the weird way these Mergansers do. I have yet to notice any females although one may possibly be in the nest box and he guarding it until eggs are laid. Last season the female abandoned the box and it  was the first year I remember not seeing a family (or families) of C Mergansers on the lake.

If you get up early take a walk in the woods and listen to the amount of Woodpecker drumming now- Sapsuckers, Pileateds, Hairys, Downys, Flickers. My dog and I were out for a stroll at 6am and it felt like being on a building site.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.