[NatureNS] The Otter

Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 13:48:28 -0300
From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Paul, and all,

A few years ago, a friend and I had an interesting encounter with
otter while we were out in my canoe.  We had put into the Clyde River
in Lanark, Ontario, then paddled a few kilometres upstream.  We were
just about to pass under a bridge when we noticed a commotion at the
surface of the water - sort of like boiling water.  We could see some
kind of creatures rolling  just under the surface.  Turned out to be a
pair of young otter.  They came up to the bow of the canoe - no doubt
a bit curious - and swam back and forth a few times.  We were enjoying
a good view of them for maybe half a minute, when suddenly an adult
otter rose up out of the water sort of "chest high" right in front of
the bow - very close to my friend. It made a very loud noise --  sort
of a blowing noise --  Fffwwwaaahhh.  Ffwwaaahhh.  Looked pretty
angry, as it glared at us while its young swam away.  Then it turned
and chased the young further away from the canoe -- the three of them
rolling together as they swam off.  Very memorable.  My friend still
talks of that encounter.

Bev Wigney
Round Hill, NS