[NatureNS] flies

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 04:41:31 +0000

--_000_264365FE7EDD4DC0A5CC9CA59BE4AC80dalca_

It doesn=92t look like two species but instead a gradation of just one, exp=
lained by the ones nearest the camera subtending a larger angle at the lens=
 and so appearing bigger.  They are flying so fast that you can=92t see any=
 detail except that the nearer ones look a bit yellowish.  I=92d guess they=
 are a species of fly.

A number of true flies (Diptera) from quite different phylogenetic levels t=
ypically assemble at the highest local point, known as =91hilltopping', whe=
re the males form swarms and females fly through the pack to be pursued by =
males for mating.  Well known examples are some bibionids (sometimes called=
 'March flies=92 in Britain from their early appearance, when it=92s too co=
ld here) from the ancient end of the Diptera, and some empidids (=91dance f=
lies=92) from about half way up.
Trees are not useful =97 you=92d need still photos of individual insects to=
 have any hope of identifying even whether they are dipterans or something =
else.  Take a net or even a fly swatter next time?
Steve (Hfx)

On Jun 12, 2016, at 8:55 PM, Paul Ruggles <cpruggles@eastlink.ca<mailto:cpr=