[NatureNS] flies

From: Paul Ruggles <cpruggles@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 10:38:27 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;

--Apple-Mail-1-39119679

Thanks Steve.

 I'm not concerned that much with the identification aspect - I just =
liked the visual effect of the motion and the evening sunlight. Hope to =
use it in one of my videos.

 Thanks all.

Paul.

On 2016-06-13, at 1:41 AM, Stephen Shaw wrote:

> It doesn=92t look like two species but instead a gradation of just =
one, explained by the ones nearest the camera subtending a larger angle =
at the lens and so appearing bigger.  They are flying so fast that you =
can=92t see any detail except that the nearer ones look a bit yellowish. =
 I=92d guess they are a species of fly.
>=20
> A number of true flies (Diptera) from quite different phylogenetic =
levels typically assemble at the highest local point, known as =
=91hilltopping', where the males form swarms and females fly through the =
pack to be pursued by males for mating.  Well known examples are some =
bibionids (sometimes called 'March flies=92 in Britain from their early =
appearance, when it=92s too cold here) from the ancient end of the =
Diptera, and some empidids (=91dance flies=92) from about half way up.
> Trees are not useful =97 you=92d need still photos of individual =
insects to have any hope of identifying even whether they are dipterans =
or something else.  Take a net or even a fly swatter next time?
> Steve (Hfx)
>  =20
> On Jun 12, 2016, at 8:55 PM, Paul Ruggles <cpruggles@eastlink.ca> =
wrote:
>=20
>>  Thanks  Paul and Andrew.
>> It was not over water. It was along a paved road at Mason's point at =
the top of a hill that overlooked Saint Margarets Bay. Would the =
identity of the trees be of any help?
>> Paul R.
>>=20
>> On 2016-06-12, at 6:45 PM, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:
>>=20
>>> Well Paul there is not much to go by.
>>> Cann't tell if its over water or not.
>>> It could be a swarm of mating Caddis flies with
>>> the difference in size been the difference in sexs.
>>> Enjoy the spring
>>> Paul
>>> =20
>>>=20
flies I took on my last jaunt in the woods? There appears to be two =
species - one larger and fewer, and one smaller and much larger.=20
>>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-1-39119679

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
with the identification aspect - I just liked the visual effect of the =
motion and the evening sunlight. Hope to use it in one of my =
AM, Stephen Shaw wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">

charset=3DWindows-1252">

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;">
It doesn=92t look like two species but instead a gradation of just one, =
explained by the ones nearest the camera subtending a larger angle at =
the lens and so appearing bigger. &nbsp;They are flying so fast that you =
can=92t see any detail except that the nearer ones
 look a bit yellowish. &nbsp;I=92d guess they are a species of fly.
levels typically assemble at the highest local point, known as =
=91hilltopping', where the males form swarms and females fly through the =
pack to be pursued by males for mating. &nbsp;Well known
 examples are some bibionids (sometimes called 'March flies=92 in =
Britain from their early appearance, when it=92s too cold here) from the =
ancient end of the Diptera, and some empidids (=91dance flies=92) from =
about half way up.</div>
insects to have any hope of identifying even whether they are dipterans =
or something else. &nbsp;Take a net or even a fly swatter next =
time?</div>
href=3D"mailto:cpruggles@eastlink.ca">cpruggles@eastlink.ca</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div>
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
&nbsp;Thanks &nbsp;Paul and Andrew.
at the top of a hill that overlooked Saint Margarets Bay. Would the =
identity of the trees be of any help?</div>
href=3D"mailto:rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a> =
wrote:</div>
by.</span> </div>
not.<br>
Caddis flies with<br>
difference in sexs.<br>
&gt; On June 12, 2016 at 5:08 PM Paul Ruggles &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:cpruggles@eastlink.ca">cpruggles@eastlink.ca</a>&gt; =
wrote:
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Hi all, <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Can anyone tell what is going on with this video of a swarm of =
flies