[NatureNS] Yesterday at Keji

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:50:19 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01D1C810.B42153D0

Paul:

Nice to hear you had a good day in Keji.  I hear that Eve, our oldest =
known Blanding=E2=80=99s turtle, was checking out her usual nesting spot =
yesterday.  Perhaps she=E2=80=99s the one you saw if she was along the =
Eel Weir road.  It=E2=80=99s amazing how she=E2=80=99s been returning to =
the same site for decades.   We are all on the lookout for =
=E2=80=9CAutumn=E2=80=9D now, as she makes her unbelievable trek over =
land from Loon Lake to somewhere near Jake=E2=80=99s Landing on Keji =
Lake.  She travels along the narrow dirt road for part of her journey.  =
Ever since I met her walking along Eel Weir Road last year, I=E2=80=99ve =
worried that she might get hit by a vehicle.  On the other hand, she may =
well outlive any of us.

=20

The oaks were struck with leaf roller this year, but it=E2=80=99s not so =
widespread.   (At least I think it is leaf roller.  I am only going by =
the rolled up leaves, and I know that oak are commonly hit by the leaf =
roller and leaf shredder insects.  Someone reading this most probably =
has more information on this topic.)   I hadn=E2=80=99t noticed this =
until a week or so ago as I was walking back from a bird survey and I =
noticed a lot of frass covering some understory leaves.  I looked up and =
saw the oak leaves were missing and some still on the tree had rolled =
edges.

=20

Very interesting elm observation.  Maybe I can join you for lunch you =
there next time!

=20

Donna

=20