[NatureNS] absence of insects

From: Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:25:47 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&gt;&gt; province.  My theory with the black
--001a113d59224c575805360b23d0

Way back when, while I was working summer jobs in the woods, early in the
season the old fellas would aways say "the blackflies still got their white
legs, they won't be bitin' yet". And sure enough, the early blackflies had
white legs and didn't seem to bite at all. Later in the season, when they
got their black legs somehow, they did bite, a lot. I also observed the
same thing this year at the cottage.

These white-legged blackflies could be another fly altogether, or maybe the
males come out earlier ?

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca> wrote:

> On 6/23/2016 9:10 PM, Stephen Shaw wrote:
>
>> As you know, there's a different group commonly called 'blackfly',
>> including the blackbean aphid, Aphis fabae, a pest of runner beans and s=
ome
>> flowers, known to gardeners.  Aphids commonly do have a prominent
>> asexually-reproducing part of their life cycle that allows for rapid
>> multiplication and colonization.   In regard to an asexuality/
>> parthenogenesis lifestyle, my initial guess was that you could be
>> remembering this plant-sucking aphid type of blackfly, not human-biting
>> dipteran blackflies.
>>

> * no I was remembering a professor at U of T when I was a grad student in
> the 1970s who had a labfull of students working on karyotypes and ploidie=
> of Simuliidae - but I never knew the details, and they just didn't come u=
> in a simple google, so I seem to have misremembered the asexual part.
>
> fred.
=3D=3D

> There are a large number of species of 'blackfly', Simuliidae, a family i=
>> the primitive branch of two-winged flies, Diptera -- the Nematocera or
>> 'longhorns', referring to their long antennae, the group in question her=
e.
>> I don't recall ever hearing that any of these reproduce asexually, so
>> checked the Manual of Nearctic Diptera vol 1.  This indicates that sexua=
>> reproduction is the norm, but mentions the unusual Scandanavian case of =
the
>> Prosimulium ursinum.  There, a female sometimes fails to emerge from the
>> pupa, dies in place and disintegrates whereupon matured eggs wash out in=
>> the stream, overwinter, and emerge parthenogenetically next spring.
>>
>> So you can never be too careful when making generalizations, where
>> exceptions to the rule may be lurking.
>> Steve (Hfx)

 the
>>> video.  It=E2=80=99s true the black flies seem larger in northern Ontar=
io.  I
>>> think a different species from here.
>>>

>> * there are hundreds of species and, I seem to recall, asexual lineages
>> with diverse karyotypes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulium - some
>> feed on one species of host or another, and some don't take a blood meal=
.

>> fred.
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D

>>> I seem to be too late with thoughts on the black fly.  Annapolis Royal
>>> has claimed a =E2=80=98_black fly_ _festival=E2=80=99_, though I=E2=80=
=99ve never seen a black
>>> fly there, and they=E2=80=99d be nothing compared to the wooded heartla=
nds of
>>> NS.  A =E2=80=98_black fly_ _supper=E2=80=99_ probably wouldn=E2=80=99t=
 draw a big crowd....  : )

>>> Donna

s of the
>>> province.  My theory with the black fly is that it=E2=80=99s traditiona=
lly
>>> successful life cycle in NS has been altered somewhat from the rampant
>>> levels of deforestation.  On private lands, it seems that operations
>>> have reverted back to cutting right up to the stream edges with no tree=
>>> remaining (I=E2=80=99ve got photos of last winter=E2=80=99s cuts in the=
 southwest).
>>> Even where buffers are left as per legal requirements, the lack of tree=
>>> remaining on the rest of the landscape serve to let streams rapidly fil=
>>> after a rain and then empty quickly, rather than retain moderate flows
>>> from filtering through forests.  For the black fly, if waters keep
>>> running more will emerge, but streams are now drying up more quickly
>>> than before when our great Acadian forest blanketed the landscape.  The
>>> black fly season is shortened.
>>>

>>> Also bear in mind that breeding success of black flies is sensitive to
>>> water pollution in streams (which may be relevant to some areas of our
>>> great province).
>>>

>>> Most folks will herald the shorter black fly season, but I=E2=80=99ve b=
ecome
>>> more reflective about our migrant birds now than I used to be.
>>> Neotropical birds have been coming to this land solely for  its =E2=80=
=9Cbugs=E2=80=9D
>>> and the remarkable =E2=80=98forest habitats=E2=80=99 found here for cen=
turies!  What are
>>> we indirectly doing to their precious food supply needed to feed young
>>> birds?  (I won=E2=80=99t go into habitat issues.)  When I watch the chi=
mney
>>> swifts and tree swallows flying around, I wonder how things are going
>>> for them and their progeny...
>>>

>>> Donna Crossland
>>>

>>> *From:*naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca

--=20
Rick Ballard
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada

--001a113d59224c575805360b23d0

serif">Way back when, while I was working summer jobs in the woods, early i=
n the season the old fellas would aways say &quot;the blackflies still got =
their white legs, they won&#39;t be bitin&#39; yet&quot;. And sure enough, =
the early blackflies had white legs and didn&#39;t seem to bite at all. Lat=
er in the season, when they got their black legs somehow, they did bite, a =
lot. I also observed the same thing this year at the cottage.</div><div cla=
ss=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:georgia,serif"><br></div><div cla=
ss=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:georgia,serif">These white-legged=
 blackflies could be another fly altogether, or maybe the males come out ea=
">On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Fred Schueler <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:bckcdb@istar.ca" target=3D"_blank">bckcdb@istar.ca</a>&gt;</s=
pan> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex=
;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class=3D""><br>
On 6/23/2016 9:10 PM, Stephen Shaw wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
As you know, there&#39;s a different group commonly called &#39;blackfly&#3=
9;, including the blackbean aphid, Aphis fabae, a pest of runner beans and =
some flowers, known to gardeners.=C2=A0 Aphids commonly do have a prominent=
 asexually-reproducing part of their life cycle that allows for rapid multi=
plication and colonization.=C2=A0 =C2=A0In regard to an asexuality/ parthen=
ogenesis lifestyle, my initial guess was that you could be remembering this=
 plant-sucking aphid type of blackfly, not human-biting dipteran blackflies=
.<br>
* no I was remembering a professor at U of T when I was a grad student in t=
he 1970s who had a labfull of students working on karyotypes and ploidies o=
f Simuliidae - but I never knew the details, and they just didn&#39;t come =
up in a simple google, so I seem to have misremembered the asexual part.<br=

fred.<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
There are a large number of species of &#39;blackfly&#39;, Simuliidae, a fa=
mily in the primitive branch of two-winged flies, Diptera -- the Nematocera=
 or &#39;longhorns&#39;, referring to their long antennae, the group in que=
stion here.=C2=A0 I don&#39;t recall ever hearing that any of these reprodu=
ce asexually, so checked the Manual of Nearctic Diptera vol 1.=C2=A0 This i=
ndicates that sexual reproduction is the norm, but mentions the unusual Sca=
ndanavian case of the Prosimulium ursinum.=C2=A0 There, a female sometimes =
fails to emerge from the pupa, dies in place and disintegrates whereupon ma=
tured eggs wash out into the stream, overwinter, and emerge parthenogenetic=
ally next spring.<br>
So you can never be too careful when making generalizations, where exceptio=
ns to the rule may be lurking.<br>
Steve (Hfx)<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">na=
turens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a> [<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.=