[NatureNS] absence of insects

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 07:51:06 -0400

&gt; Even where buffers are left as per le

On 6/23/2016 9:10 PM, Stephen Shaw wrote:
> As you know, there's a different group commonly called 'blackfly', including the blackbean aphid, Aphis fabae, a pest of runner beans and some flowers, known to gardeners.  Aphids commonly do have a prominent asexually-reproducing part of their life cycle that allows for rapid multiplication and colonization.   In regard to an asexuality/ parthenogenesis lifestyle, my initial guess was that you could be remembering this plant-sucking aphid type of blackfly, not human-biting dipteran blackflies.

* no I was remembering a professor at U of T when I was a grad student
in the 1970s who had a labfull of students working on karyotypes and
ploidies of Simuliidae - but I never knew the details, and they just
didn't come up in a simple google, so I seem to have misremembered the
asexual part.

fred.