[NatureNS] Swallows

From: "David Currie" <david_currie@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 15:04:32 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01D1D085.361A8330

Hi all

Over the last few weeks it has been brought to my attention that =
swallows are facing new challenges in Nova Scotia. The first situation =
was of Tree Swallows nesting in the back of street lights. In HRM =
particularly and no doubt elsewhere, there is a drive to replace lights =
with low-energy LED lights. As replacement was being done in one area, =
we heard of one swallow nest with eggs being discarded by a worker who =
did not know any better. The city councillor and the contractors were =
notified which resulted in a policy that any further nests they would =
find, whether or not they can identify them as swallows will be left =
alone. The lights and poles will be skipped and replaced in September. =
Another consideration is that the new lights will not have access holes =
for birds so Tree Swallows will need to look elsewhere for nesting sites =
next spring in the areas. Anyone who lives in an place where lights are =
being replaced can help by pointing out active nests, report to the NSBS =
at contact@nsbirdsociety.ca or speak directly to a worker. We can make =
sure those lights are not be replaced this nesting season.   =20

The second issue is around Barn Swallow nesting areas. As people here =
know, Barn Swallows have been listed as endangered species in Nova =
Scotia by the NS Department of Natural Resources. Some of their =
favourite nesting sites include the NS Department of Transportation and =
Infrastructure Renewal=E2=80=99s domed buildings used for road salt. =
These buildings are all over the province and some have 8 or more nests =
inside. There is a movement by the provincial department to completely =
shut the entrances off to all birds as they are finding that pigeons are =
causing problems and hard to control. That being said, I have been in =
touch with =E2=80=9CTransportation=E2=80=9D and they are willing to =
consider options to find ways to eliminate the pigeon problems they fear =
while finding ways to include Barn Swallows. We=E2=80=99re working on =
it.

Since NatureNS reaches many areas both in NS and outside, this may =
already have been addressed. Anyone who knows of breeding Barn Swallows =
in these sheds, I would like to know and plot those for reference and =
discussion with the provincial departments. If you can help, let me know =
where and how many nests you find per building.

Thanks.

Dave