[NatureNS] Swallows

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 14:21:07 -0400

&gt; in eastern Ontario as well with pastures and hay fields becoming huge
On 6/27/2016 2:04 PM, David Currie wrote:

> The second issue is around Barn Swallow nesting areas. As people here
> know, Barn Swallows have been listed as endangered species in Nova
> Scotia by the NS Department of Natural Resources. Some of their
> favourite nesting sites include the NS Department of Transportation and
> Infrastructure Renewal’s domed buildings used for road salt. These
> buildings are all over the province and some have 8 or more nests
> inside. There is a movement by the provincial department to completely
> shut the entrances off to all birds as they are finding that pigeons are
> causing problems and hard to control. That being said, I have been in
> touch with “Transportation” and they are willing to consider options to
> find ways to eliminate the pigeon problems they fear while finding ways
> to include Barn Swallows. We’re working on it.
>
> Since NatureNS reaches many areas both in NS and outside, this may
> already have been addressed. Anyone who knows of breeding Barn Swallows
> in these sheds, I would like to know and plot those for reference and
> discussion with the provincial departments. If you can help, let me know
> where and how many nests you find per building.

* We've noticed this use of salt domes, but haven't followed up on this:
20 August 2015 - Ontario: Kenora District: N of Highway 17, 18.3 km E
Kenora. (25m waypoint), 52E/9, 49.74245N 94.22516W TIME: 1801-1941. AIR
TEMP: 21°C, sunny, Beaufort light breeze. HABITAT: paved highway yard
with grassy/herbaceous/brushy surrounding disturbed ground. OBSERVER:
Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad Schueler. FWS15Aug201801/b, Hirundo
rustica (Barn Swallow). 20ca adult, seen, heard. flying in and out of
quite full sand dome - is this inadvertent nesting habitat! - looking in
we can't see nests, but this is about 20 m high, and the light isn't
good inside.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
            Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0