[NatureNS] Common Terns and lack of birds overall

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 01:43:54 +0000

--_000_SN2PR11MB0093632A4E05330031F05992B5220SN2PR11MB0093namp_

In my travels, I've seen very few common terns this year. Most areas that I=
 would normally see them nesting are vacant.  I had a phone call from a con=
cerned person about not seeing anymore than one in the area of Corkum's Isl=
and.  Normally by this time of the year she would see numbers of them divin=
g and taking food to young.  This would be on the basis of an island where =
the terns normally nest in Bayport.  I've not had chance to speak to a loca=
l man who keeps an eye on the terns there as to the numbers that have come =
back this year.  Nor have I checked out the island.  Anyhow, has anyone els=
e noticed a lack of common terns this year.  I would be interested in the c=
onsensus.

On another note, in my travels about, I would say that numbers of a lot of =
bird species are much lower than normal this year.  I've also seen a larger=
 than normal number of dead or dying coniferous trees recently  in Queens a=
nd Lunenburg County in areas over the past few weeks.  I did my Breeding Bi=
rd Route on June 19, that runs from Jordan Falls, to Shelburne and up into =
Welshtown.  There were an exceptional number of dead or almost dead conifer=
s in the Welshtown area.   Also, bird numbers for most species were far low=
er than normal and quite a few species that we always get along the route w=
ere missing. I've traveled through large areas of good birding habitat rece=
ntly that are silent.  This is not in just one area but many. Out of curios=
ity has anyone else been noticing a similar trend?

James R. Hirtle

LaHave

--_000_SN2PR11MB0093632A4E05330031F05992B5220SN2PR11MB0093namp_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
t I would normally see them nesting are vacant. &nbsp;I had a phone call fr=
om a concerned person about not seeing anymore than one in the area of Cork=
um's Island. &nbsp;Normally by this time of
 the year she would see numbers of them diving and taking food to young. &n=
bsp;This would be on the basis of an island where the terns normally nest i=
n Bayport. &nbsp;I've not had chance to speak to a local man who keeps an e=
ye on the terns there as to the numbers that
 have come back this year. &nbsp;Nor have I checked out the island. &nbsp;A=
nyhow, has anyone else noticed a lack of common terns this year. &nbsp;I wo=
uld be interested in the consensus. &nbsp;</p>
of bird species are much lower than normal this year. &nbsp;I've also seen =
a larger than normal number of dead or dying coniferous trees recently&nbsp=
;<span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, &quot;A=
pple Color Emoji&quot;, &quot;Segoe UI Emoji&quot;, NotoColorEmoji, &quot;S=
egoe UI Symbol&quot;, &quot;Android Emoji&quot;, EmojiSymbols; font-size: 3=
2px;">&nbsp;</span><span style=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, s=
ans-serif, &quot;Apple Color Emoji&quot;, &quot;Segoe UI Emoji&quot;, NotoC=
olorEmoji, &quot;Segoe UI Symbol&quot;, &quot;Android Emoji&quot;, EmojiSym=
bols; font-size: 32px;">in
 Queens and Lunenburg County in areas over the past few&nbsp;</span><span s=
tyle=3D"font-family: Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, &quot;Apple Col=
or Emoji&quot;, &quot;Segoe UI Emoji&quot;, NotoColorEmoji, &quot;Segoe UI =
Symbol&quot;, &quot;Android Emoji&quot;, EmojiSymbols; font-size: 32px;">we=
eks.</span>&nbsp;
 I did my Breeding Bird Route on June 19, that runs from Jordan Falls, to S=
helburne and up into Welshtown. &nbsp;There were an exceptional number of d=
ead or almost dead conifers in the Welshtown area. &nbsp;&nbsp;Also, bird n=
umbers for most species were far lower than normal
 and quite a few species that we always get along the route were missing. I=
've traveled through large areas of good birding habitat recently&nbsp;that=
 are silent. &nbsp;This is not in just one area but many. Out of curiosity =
has anyone else been noticing a&nbsp;similar trend?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;</p>

--_000_SN2PR11MB0093632A4E05330031F05992B5220SN2PR11MB0093namp_--