[NatureNS] more on feeding hummingbirds

From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay135@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 08:46:43 -0300

--------------1E6253D67C592F4130B86469

With apologies for the delayed reply (have been away) - and further
thanks to Bev, Cam and others; you make sensible and valid points and
I've decided to stop feeling personally responsible for the current
situation and view it as a valuable addition to my hummer feeding
learning curve!

Eleanor Lindsay

,
On 2016-07-03 8:43 AM, Bev Wigney wrote:
> All,
>
> My experience is similar to what Cam Finley describes.  I used to put
> out feeders from 2010 to 2015, but over the past few years since
> buying this place, I've also been working to increase native plants
> and also non-native perennials in my gardens.  I also have some
> rhodies that are getting large.  There are now a lot of plants
> flowering throughout the whole spring and summer.  About two summers
> ago, I noticed that the hummers were barely using the feeders,
> especially as the plants really started to bloom.  Last year, after a
> couple or so weeks, I just took the feeders down as I realized that
> they birds preferred the flowers over the feeders. I don't mind as
> this was actually what I've been working toward since coming here in
> 2010.  I should also mention that my next door neighbours had feeders
> on their porch for about 20 years, but at the same time as I noticed
> that hummers were ignoring my feeders, the same happened to theirs.
> However, from my upstairs room, looking down on my garden, I soon
> discovered that the hummers that customarily nested in a particular
> tree in their yard were flying back and forth into my yard to feed on
> the abundant flowers.  By the way, this spring, I have been
> encountering hummers back in my forest quite regularly.  I don't
> recall them being back there so much before this year.  However, there
> are a lot of native plants that flower along the brook alongside my
> property, and I have a big stand of Fireweed that they love to visit.
> Maybe they've decided to make more use of the forest now.  So,
> Eleanor, I'm wondering if maybe you have a neighbour somewhere who has
> been cultivating a sort of wild garden for bees and butterflies, and
> that birds are being attracted by that?  I can see how the shift to
> native plant gardens may have quite an effect on bird and insect
> activity as I'm seeing it here in my own gardens where I photography
> insects every day from spring through autumn.
>
> Bev Wigney
> Round Hill
>
>>> Begin forwarded message:

--------------1E6253D67C592F4130B86469

  <head>
  </head>
        away) - and further thanks to Bev, Cam and others; you make
        sensible and valid points and I've decided to stop feeling
        personally responsible for the current situation and view it as
        a valuable addition to my hummer feeding learning curve! <br>
    ,<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAD_MH0P+pxbaeNjocfDL13645Uap-O56N7ECnVe8-A1eOEWdpA@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">

[...]