[NatureNS] water and feeding hummingbirds

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 23:05:07 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_eFqCrnNiwaN7qc3p+2YnlA)

Hi Nancy,

We use HummZinger feeders by Aspect, which we buy at the Wild Bird store
on Dunbrack & Lacewood in Halifax.  They are plastic, but not cheap, are
well designed, easy to clean and long-lasting.  They also have built-in
ant moats that you fill with water which prevent ants from getting to
the sugar water.  We have been using these feeders for quite a few years
now with no problems so far as we know.

Lois Codling
L. Sackville

On 7/4/2016 2:14 PM, N Robinson wrote:
> I have a question regarding the hummingbird feeders.  I have never fed
> the hummingbirds but a relative brought me one of the cheap varieties
> of plastic feeder one finds at Dollarama or the hardware store at the
> exit.
>
> Are these feeders all right?   I wonder about the plastic - probably
> not good for the birds and just another thing that will eventually end
> up in the landfill
>
> Perhaps someone could recommend the best type of feeder, where to buy
> it, etc.
>
> Nancy
>
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 8:04 AM, n1gtuq15@aliant
> <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca <mailto:heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>>
> wrote:
>
>     Because I am using treated city water, I boil it first and let it
>     sit for a bit before adding sugar. I feel it sort of neutralizes
>     it a bit. I have my feeders on the fourth floor of a big apartment
>     building and the only thing I have in my favour are the woods on
>     two sides of me. I do get a lone hummer which is very exciting for
>     me.
>     Most of the big apartment complexes don't allow bird feeding at
>     all but I don't consider feeding HBs breaking the rules.
>     Heather Drope
>

> --
> Nancy Robinson
> novascotiavacation.weebly.com <http://novascotiavacation.weebly.com>
> www.twinski.com <http://www.twinski.com>
> 514-605-7186

--Boundary_(ID_eFqCrnNiwaN7qc3p+2YnlA)

  <head>
  </head>
    Hi Nancy,<br>
    We use HummZinger feeders by Aspect, which we buy at the Wild Bird
    store on Dunbrack &amp; Lacewood in Halifax.  They are plastic, but
    not cheap, are well designed, easy to clean and long-lasting.  They
    also have built-in ant moats that you fill with water which prevent
    ants from getting to the sugar water.  We have been using these
    feeders for quite a few years now with no problems so far as we
    know.<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
    L. Sackville<br>
cite="mid:CAL4T0Ny6xMi9dj=P1hUhU7U1OX6bQDNotth_Bi3m6T0azOwtLw@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
              have never fed the hummingbirds but a relative brought me
              one of the cheap varieties of plastic feeder one finds at
              Dollarama or the hardware store at the exit.  <br>
            Are these feeders all right?   I wonder about the plastic -
            probably not good for the birds and just another thing that
            will eventually end up in the landfill<br>
          Perhaps someone could recommend the best type of feeder, where
          to buy it, etc.<br>
        Nancy<br>
          n1gtuq15@aliant <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca"
              target="_blank">heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                first and let it sit for a bit before adding sugar. I
                feel it sort of neutralizes it a bit. I have my feeders
                on the fourth floor of a big apartment building and the
                only thing I have in my favour are the woods on two
                sides of me. I do get a lone hummer which is very
                exciting for me. </div>
                feeding at all but I don't consider feeding HBs breaking
                the rules.  </div>
        -- <br>
                    href="http://novascotiavacation.weebly.com"
                    target="_blank">novascotiavacation.weebly.com</a><br>
                <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://www.twinski.com"
                  target="_blank">www.twinski.com</a><br>
                514-605-7186<br>

--Boundary_(ID_eFqCrnNiwaN7qc3p+2YnlA)--