[NatureNS] Wigeon breeding, Brier Island, plus other notes July 23-26.

From: Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca>
To: "ns-rba@yahoogroups.com" <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>,
CC: Anne Mills <ocotillo8@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 16:44:26 +0000

--_000_CY1PR03MB2348DE08F2C7BB353874F52A83000CY1PR03MB2348namp_

Early on July 24 I found an American Wigeon female with a single downy youn=
g in the big pond, Pond Cove, Brier Island. This was not a total surprise, =
for there had been an agitated male in the area a few weeks before. But it =
is the first confirmation of breeding on Brier Island, and only the second =
(according to our recent atlas) in Southwestern / Western Nova Scotia.

Vis-a-vis the recent discussion about early warbler migration, as seen from=
 Brier Island July 23-26, I can't say that I found any signs of one. What I=
 did see was the seasonally-expected formation of feeding guilds of recentl=
y fledged birds and some post-breeding resident adults, composed on Brier m=
ainly of Yellow, Yellow-rumped and Black-throated Green Warblers, Common Ye=
llowthroats, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Black-capped Chickadees, and Red-brea=
sted Nuthatches. Alder Flycatchers were still singing, and recently fledged=
 Savannah Sparrows were everywhere. Some of the young Kinglets looked as th=
ough they should have stayed in the nest for a few more days.

Of course passerines can be on the move in late July, and one of these was =
a single adult Eastern Phoebe that seemed to appear out of nowhere on the a=
fternoon of July 25, was restless and on the move, and no doubt was a post-=
breeding disperser from somewhere nearby on the mainland.

Other birds of interest on or around Brier Island: four adult Great Cormora=
nts and a single HY bird among the Double-crests on Peters Island, probably=
 from a nesting site nearby on Long Island; impressive numbers of phalarope=
s building up along the tide-streaks W of the island (I estimated 5000 Reds=
 and about 50 Red-necked on July 24); a few hundred Great Shearwaters and s=
parse Wilson's Storm-Petrels offshore; two summering Black Scoter males (in=
 eclipse) in Pond Cove; and the first juvenile Least Sandpipers (4/80) on J=
uly 25, which is a few days earlier than the 40-year average.

Eric L. Mills

Lower Rose Bay

Lunenburg Co., NS

--_000_CY1PR03MB2348DE08F2C7BB353874F52A83000CY1PR03MB2348namp_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
[...]
 nearby on the mainland. <br>
orants and a single HY bird among the Double-crests on Peters Island, proba=
bly from a nesting site nearby on Long Island; impressive numbers of phalar=
opes building up along the tide-streaks
 W of the island (I estimated 5000 Reds and about 50 Red-necked on July 24)=
; a few hundred Great Shearwaters and sparse Wilson's Storm-Petrels offshor=
e; two summering Black Scoter males (in eclipse) in Pond Cove; and the firs=
t juvenile Least Sandpipers (4/80)
 on July 25, which is a few days earlier than the 40-year average. <br>

--_000_CY1PR03MB2348DE08F2C7BB353874F52A83000CY1PR03MB2348namp_--