[NatureNS] Mission Monarch - Survey for Monarchs

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 12:42:48 -0200

--_f9e03081-69a0-4e30-83c8-aba0024e298a_

Thanks=2C Larry=2C for making us aware of this.

There are so many sites in eastern Kings that in looking at those on your m=
ap=2C I had difficulty visualizing where some of the sites were located. I =
would suggest adding the GPS coordinates so there would be no doubt which i=
s which. We have family visiting so I'm occupied until August 12 but from t=
here on I could provide the coordinates for them.
Angus

> Date: Fri=2C 5 Aug 2016 11:27:38 -0300
> From: larry@bogan.ca
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: [NatureNS] Mission Monarch - Survey for Monarchs
>=20
> Look at the webpage
> http://www.mission-monarch.org/mission-monarch-blitz/
>=20
> Monarch Mission is a effort to survey for Monarch butterflies and provide=
 webspace to report your results during the summer season. The Blitz is thi=
s coming next weekend on August 13-14 and is means to capture the state of =
breeding habitat in Canada. Negative results need to be reported as well as=
 positive.
>=20
> I surveyed several of the larger milkweed patches in Waterville yesterday=
 and unfortunately saw no evidence. I saw no damage to leaves indicating la=
rger Monarch caterpillars present. I saw no adult Monarchs flying.  I found=
 one new patch.
>=20
> My milkweed field on the other hand is producing. We still have at least =
three adult Monarchs flying around and we are still finding eggs and tiny l=
arvae on leaves of small milkweed plants. We have yet to see larger larvae =
on our milkweed. This is discouraging because our earlier collect of eggs a=
re in the chrysalis stage. We also have many larger caterpillers that will =
pupate in a few days. We see none of this in the wild in our field so preda=
tors are very effective.
>=20
> Lisa Proulx has reported finding caterpillars in the wild. We need to kee=
p looking and report findings.
>=20
> So...
> Please explore your nearby milkweed and look for caterpillars and report =
it to Mission Monarch.
>=20
> If you live in the Annapolis Valley=2C we have located over 50 sites with=
 milkweed and I have mapped it. So you can use that map to go to one or mor=
e of these Common milkweed sites. The map is on http://valleynature.ca or s=
pecifically
> http://nw.nature1st.net/index.php?id=3Dmilkweed-common-locations
> I noted that some of the sites near my home have been mowed in the last w=
eek so there will be some of these sites missing.
>=20
> Cheers=2C
> Larry
>=20
> ////// =3D=3D=3D ///////
> Larry Bogan=20
> Brooklyn Corner=2C Nova Scotia
> <larry@bogan.ca>
 		 	   		  =

--_f9e03081-69a0-4e30-83c8-aba0024e298a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
 aware of this.<br><br>There are so many sites in eastern Kings that in loo=
king at those on your map=2C I had difficulty visualizing where some of the=
 sites were located. I would suggest adding the GPS coordinates so there wo=
uld be no doubt which is which. We have family visiting so I'm occupied unt=
il August 12 but from there on I could provide the coordinates for them.<br=
From: larry@bogan.ca<br>&gt=3B To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<br>&gt=3B Subjec=
t: [NatureNS] Mission Monarch - Survey for Monarchs<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Lo=
ok at the webpage<br>&gt=3B http://www.mission-monarch.org/mission-monarch-=
blitz/<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Monarch Mission is a effort to survey for Monar=
ch butterflies and provide webspace to report your results during the summe=
r season. The Blitz is this coming next weekend on August 13-14 and is mean=
s to capture the state of breeding habitat in Canada. Negative results need=
 to be reported as well as positive.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B I surveyed severa=
l of the larger milkweed patches in Waterville yesterday and unfortunately =
saw no evidence. I saw no damage to leaves indicating larger Monarch caterp=
illars present. I saw no adult Monarchs flying.  I found one new patch.<br>=
&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B My milkweed field on the other hand is producing. We stil=
l have at least three adult Monarchs flying around and we are still finding=
 eggs and tiny larvae on leaves of small milkweed plants. We have yet to se=
e larger larvae on our milkweed. This is discouraging because our earlier c=
ollect of eggs are in the chrysalis stage. We also have many larger caterpi=
llers that will pupate in a few days. We see none of this in the wild in ou=
r field so predators are very effective.<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Lisa Proulx h=
as reported finding caterpillars in the wild. We need to keep looking and r=
arby milkweed and look for caterpillars and report it to Mission Monarch.<b=
r>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B If you live in the Annapolis Valley=2C we have located =
over 50 sites with milkweed and I have mapped it. So you can use that map t=
o go to one or more of these Common milkweed sites. The map is on http://va=
lleynature.ca or specifically<br>&gt=3B http://nw.nature1st.net/index.php?i=
d=3Dmilkweed-common-locations<br>&gt=3B I noted that some of the sites near=
 my home have been mowed in the last week so there will be some of these si=
gt=3B ////// =3D=3D=3D ///////<br>&gt=3B Larry Bogan <br>&gt=3B Brooklyn Co=

--_f9e03081-69a0-4e30-83c8-aba0024e298a_--