[NatureNS] Nesting on the late side EAPH, YBSA

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 11:09:43 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi all
On a little stroll this morning on the Willard Fraser Rd.  Pictou Co, I found a nest of Easter Phoebe with at least 3 young under a bridge with an adult seen bringing food. It is not that unusual I don't think for Phoebes to nest late as they have multiple broods.

Only 100 m away I also heard the distinct sounds of a nesting woodpecker begging for food. A little await showed the nester to be a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. I thought this to be on the late side for this species. Tried to find the breeding season for  sapsuckers in the new Maritime breeding Bird Atlas but for some reason this info is not included. Also I don't seem to be able to open the drop-down info from the maritime Breeding Bird Atlas website where this info was previously available. (Maybe it is my IPad that can't open this info but everything else in the column appears to open).

This year I also had my latest nesting Tree Swallow in my yard with the young probably leaving the nest the morning of August 2 a month later than the usual date. Fred MacKenzie less than a km up the road also had a similar late nesting Tree Swallow in a box in his yard.

Cheers
Ken

Sent from my iPad