[NatureNS] Parrsboro Field Naturalists Saturday Events

From: David Patriquin <David.Patriquin@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 00:05:43 +0000

--_000_BN3PR0301MB12175AB3C0EF07908DD605E9921F0BN3PR0301MB1217_

John Brownlie is organizing naturalist outings in the Parrsboro area on Sat=
urdays. "There is an event every Saturday except during the Gem and Mineral=
 Show on the 20th of August when the Fundy Geological Museum is offering a =
variety of geology and dinosaur excursions. For all events but one, we meet=
 at the Fundy Geological Museum at 1:00 pm and then proceed from there by c=
ar caravan to the site of our exploration. All sites are within 15 km of Pa=
rrsboro...These excursions are family oriented. We don't walk more than a c=
ouple of km at most and events last for about one and a half hours." See ve=
rsicolor.ca/pfn for events Aug 13 to Sep 24, 2016, also pasted below.

- David Patriquin for John Brownlie

AUGUST 13th: Baby Blue Frogs
Sitting on the sphagnum mat at Diligent River bog pond are about 50 baby Gr=
een Frogs that have recently lost their tails and are now breathing air. An=
d two of them are BLUE!!! The large darners are laying eggs in the wet peat=
, while other dragons and damsels are mating on the wing. Bring your boots =
and your camera.
AUGUST 20th: Gem and Mineral Show

See the Fundy Geological Museum website for a list of their events
AUGUST 27th: Starry Starry Night
On the very day that NASA's Juno spacecraft is scheduled to make its first =
very close approach to Jupiter, we will be gazing into the Universe to loca=
te various constellations and hear the Greek legends associated with them. =
At Partridge Island, we can escape the bright lights of Parrsboro and gain =
an unobstructed view of the heavens.
SEPTEMBER 3rd : Dragonflies ARE Migrating
We will observe darners, skimmers and meadow hawks with white noses as they=
 make their long journey southwards to destinations which are still a myste=
ry to scientists who study these incredible, long-distance voyageurs. Where=
 they go? why they go? what route do they take? do they lay eggs along the =
way? -- all questions still to be answered. The methods currently being use=
d to sort this out are equally incredible!
SEPTEMBER 10th : Mushrooms

We will explore a Sugar Maple forest in search of Dead Man's Fingers, Winte=
r Slippery Cap, Corrals, Scarlet Elf Cups, boletes and many others. It has =
been extremely dry. If we don't begin to get some decent rainfall events an=
d the mushrooms do not emerge from the forest floor, we will visit Jeffers =
Brook waterfalls and investigate the interesting mosses and liverworts grow=
ing in the wetness provided by the falls.

SEPTEMBER 17th : Spiders are Preparing for Winter
The average date for our first frost in Parrsboro is the 20th of September =
-- just three days from now. Before they die with the cold nights, these Ar=
giope spiders (black with bold yellow markings) must create egg cases in wh=
ich hundreds of their babies will be able to survive the winter -- somethin=
g they themselves cannot do. Is there anything stronger than spider silk? L=
earn how spider genes inserted into moth caterpillars are creating tough ne=
w materials!
SEPTEMBER 24th : Our Winter Canada Geese Have Arrived
Hundreds of geese, Black Ducks, and Green-winged Teal will be feeding on th=
e vegetated mud flats at the "Aboiteau" in Parrsboro. We'll walk out onto t=
he mud flats to see what it is that sustains them here all winter long. If =
we fixed the leaky gates and permanently flooded these mud flats, could gee=
se stay here during the winter? What would happen if we returned this area =
back to a tidal saltma

--_000_BN3PR0301MB12175AB3C0EF07908DD605E9921F0BN3PR0301MB1217_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
ro area on Saturdays. &quot;There is an event every Saturday except during =
the Gem and Mineral Show on the 20th of August when the Fundy Geological Mu=
seum is offering a variety of geology and
 dinosaur excursions. For all events but one, we meet at the Fundy Geologic=
al Museum at 1:00 pm and then proceed from there by car caravan to the site=
 of our exploration. All sites are within 15 km of Parrsboro...These excurs=
ions are family oriented. We don't
 walk more than a couple of km at most and events last for about one and a =
half hours.&quot; See versicolor.ca/pfn&nbsp;for events Aug 13 to Sep 24, 2=
016, also pasted below.</span></p>
<h2 style=3D"font-size: 1.6em; color: rgb(153, 102, 51); letter-spacing: -1=
px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; padding: 0px; font-family: Ver=
dana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;">
AUGUST 13th: Baby Blue Frogs</h2>
13.76px;">Sitting on the sphagnum mat at Diligent River bog pond are about =
50 baby Green Frogs that have recently lost their tails and are now breathi=
ng air. And two of them are BLUE!!!
 The large darners are laying eggs in the wet peat, while other dragons and=
 damsels are mating on the wing. Bring your boots and your camera.</span>
<h2 style=3D"font-size: 1.6em; color: rgb(153, 102, 51); letter-spacing: -1=
px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; padding: 0px; font-family: Ver=
dana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;">
AUGUST 20th: Gem and Mineral Show</h2>
le=3D"font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.76px;"=

<tbody>
</tbody>
13.76px;">See the Fundy Geological Museum website for a list of their event=
s</span>
<h2 style=3D"font-size: 1.6em; color: rgb(153, 102, 51); letter-spacing: -1=
px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; padding: 0px; font-family: Ver=
dana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;">
AUGUST 27th: Starry Starry Night</h2>
13.76px;">On the very day that NASA's Juno spacecraft is scheduled to make =
its first very close approach to Jupiter, we will be gazing into the Univer=
se to locate various constellations
 and hear the Greek legends associated with them. At Partridge Island, we c=
an escape the bright lights of Parrsboro and gain an unobstructed view of t=
he heavens.</span>
<h2 style=3D"font-size: 1.6em; color: rgb(153, 102, 51); letter-spacing: -1=
px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; padding: 0px; font-family: Ver=
dana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;">
SEPTEMBER 3rd : Dragonflies ARE Migrating</h2>
13.76px;">We will observe darners, skimmers and meadow hawks with white nos=
es as they make their long journey southwards to destinations which are sti=
ll a mystery to scientists who study
 these incredible, long-distance voyageurs. Where they go? why they go? wha=
t route do they take? do they lay eggs along the way? -- all questions stil=
l to be answered. The methods currently being used to sort this out are equ=
ally incredible!</span>
<h2 style=3D"font-size: 1.6em; color: rgb(153, 102, 51); letter-spacing: -1=
px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; padding: 0px; font-family: Ver=
dana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;">
SEPTEMBER 10th : Mushrooms</h2>
e=3D"font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13.76px;">
<tbody>
</tbody>
13.76px;">We will explore a Sugar Maple forest in search of Dead Man's Fing=
ers, Winter Slippery Cap, Corrals, Scarlet Elf Cups, boletes and many other=
s. It has been extremely dry. If we
 don't begin to get some decent rainfall events and the mushrooms do not em=
erge from the forest floor, we will visit Jeffers Brook waterfalls and inve=
stigate the interesting mosses and liverworts growing in the wetness provid=
ed by the falls.&nbsp;</span><br style=3D"font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Ari=
al, sans-serif; font-size: 13.76px;">
.76px;">
76px;"><br>
<h2 style=3D"font-size: 1.6em; color: rgb(153, 102, 51); letter-spacing: -1=
px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; padding: 0px; font-family: Ver=
dana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;">
SEPTEMBER 17th : Spiders are Preparing for Winter</h2>
13.76px;">The average date for our first frost in Parrsboro is the 20th of =
September -- just three days from now. Before they die with the cold nights=
, these Argiope spiders (black with
 bold yellow markings) must create egg cases in which hundreds of their bab=
ies will be able to survive the winter -- something they themselves cannot =
do. Is there anything stronger than spider silk? Learn how spider genes ins=
erted into moth caterpillars are
 creating tough new materials!</span>
<h2 style=3D"font-size: 1.6em; color: rgb(153, 102, 51); letter-spacing: -1=
px; font-weight: normal; line-height: 1.3em; padding: 0px; font-family: Ver=
dana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;">
SEPTEMBER 24th : Our Winter Canada Geese Have Arrived</h2>
13.76px;">Hundreds of geese, Black Ducks, and Green-winged Teal will be fee=
ding on the vegetated mud flats at the &quot;Aboiteau&quot; in Parrsboro. W=
e'll walk out onto the mud flats to see what
 it is that sustains them here all winter long. If we fixed the leaky gates=
 and permanently flooded these mud flats, could geese stay here during the =
winter? What would happen if we returned this area back to a tidal saltma</=
span><br>
<h1 style=3D"color: rgb(0, 102, 51); letter-spacing: -1px; font-weight: nor=
mal; line-height: 1.5em; font-family: Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif; t=
ext-align: -webkit-center;">
</h1>

--_000_BN3PR0301MB12175AB3C0EF07908DD605E9921F0BN3PR0301MB1217_--