[NatureNS] Brier Island - Possible Golden Eagle?

From: Paul Murray <pwmurray.murray911@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 11:53:05 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a1145b8d24080800539e10ae7

I forgot to mention in my last post, about birds I found at Brier Island
this week, that there was a possible juvenile Golden Eagle cruising the
cliff in front of the Brier Island Lodge on Monday evening.

At first I thought it was a Turkey Vulture based on the dihedral of the
wings and dark wings/body top and bottom.  However, as he wheeled and thus
displayed his underside (all dark, not two-toned) I noted two very distinct
white patches (windows) at the base of the primaries.  Also, the dihedral
was not as pronounced as a Turkey Vulture.   I checked what resources I had
available and Peterson's "overhead" view provides the best matching
description for what I saw - a juvenile Golden Eagle.

I cannot be positive of this ID due my lack of familiarity with Golden
Eagles (virtually none), the fact that I was casually looking out the
dining room window of the lodge while eating dinner at the time, my bias
towards Turkey Vulture as an initial ID and, of course, no camera
available.

Anyway, if anyone sees this bird and can ID it as a Golden Eagle, I would
greatly appreciate knowing.

Paul Murray,
Dartmouth

--001a1145b8d24080800539e10ae7

t Brier Island this week, that there was a possible juvenile Golden Eagle c=
ruising the cliff in front of the Brier Island Lodge on Monday evening. =C2=
the dihedral of the wings and dark wings/body top and bottom.=C2=A0 However=
, as he wheeled and thus displayed his underside (all dark, not two-toned) =
I noted two very distinct white patches (windows) at the base of the primar=
ies.=C2=A0 Also, the dihedral was not as pronounced as a Turkey Vulture. =
=C2=A0 I checked what resources I had available and Peterson&#39;s &quot;ov=
erhead&quot; view provides the best matching description for what I saw - a=
ositive of this ID due my lack of familiarity with Golden Eagles (virtually=
 none), the fact that I was casually looking out the dining room window of =
the lodge while eating dinner at the time, my bias towards Turkey Vulture a=
iv>Anyway, if anyone sees this bird and can ID it as a Golden Eagle, I woul=

--001a1145b8d24080800539e10ae7--