[NatureNS] Butterfly numbers

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 13:53:26 -0300

When compared to the amazing past few summers, most definitely the numbers
are down. I too am seeing a few since the rain but so far nothing like I
would expect. Prior to the fire I was seeing a few swallowtails as I drove
along the Lahave, the Medway and the Mersey and even at Five Rivers but they
seemed concentrated at the water.  Whatever will happen when they spray from
the bud worm?
Best regards Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

However, with a couple of decent rains, we're starting to see a few
butterflies flying again. In particular, my neighbours' Buddleia had
three Red Admirals on it this morning, and the lowly Cabbage White has
become more common, too.

Anybody else feel that this has not been a great summer for butterflies?

Peter Payzant