[NatureNS] Brier Island Birding weekend

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 23:11:07 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--94eb2c0b8438134fc0054126130a

Hi All,
Fred and Harold Forsyth and I spent today birding on Brier Island. After
spending a very cold, wet and windy Friday night in a trailer in Little
River, we traveled to Brier and saw some great birding sights.

Today was clear and sunny, still breezy and cool, but much better than
Friday.

Highlights:

In Westport this morning a northern oriole, blue headed vireo, and four
chipping sparrows.

At Pond Cove, two dark rough legged hawks, a dunlin, six black bellied
plovers, four semipalmated plovers, a bairds sandpiper, horned larks, snow
buntings, bufflehead ducks and surf scoters.

At West Light we saw the most spectacular sight. Fifty turkey vultures were
rising on the thermals and updrafts and climbing to great height before
lining up and heading off across the Gulf of Maine!  A sight to match a
similar show of broad winged hawks many years ago in the very same area.

A great day birding with two great guys!

See the eBird reports, some photos included.
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S32511069
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S32510309
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S32510844
http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S32510309

Cheers, George Forsyth

--94eb2c0b8438134fc0054126130a

 Forsyth and I spent today birding on Brier Island. After spending a very c=
old, wet and windy Friday night in a trailer in Little River, we traveled t=
 Pond Cove, two dark rough legged hawks, a dunlin, six black bellied plover=
s, four semipalmated plovers, a bairds sandpiper, horned larks, snow buntin=
most spectacular sight. Fifty=20
turkey vultures were rising on the thermals and updrafts and climbing to
 great height before lining up and heading off across the Gulf of=20
Maine!=C2=A0 A sight to match a similar show of broad winged hawks many yea=
rs
br><a href=3D"http://ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S32511069">http:=
//ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S32511069</a><br><a href=3D"http://=
ebird.org/ebird/canada/view/checklist/S32510309">http://ebird.org/ebird/can=