[NatureNS] Choice For Our 'National Bird' ...The (was Gray)

From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 12:53:39 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113f979417a20c05419627ab

Geese need love too ;)

Helene

Helene Van Doninck DVM
Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
2220 Irwin Lake Rd Brookfield NS Canada B0N1C0
902-893-0253
helene.birdvet@gmail.com <birdvet@hotmail.com>
www.cwrc.net
Find us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cobequid-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Centre/134=
671693239334>
and
Twitter <https://twitter.com/CobequiWildlife>

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Laviolette, Lance <
lance.laviolette@lmco.com> wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> Perisoreus canadensis canadensis, that's a lot of Canadian content packed
> into one bird. Inevitably a name had to be chosen for the species and
> Canada Jay could have been the name.  For the majority of Canadians,
> subspecies are not differentiated but if an English name was needed for P=
.
> c. canadensis subspecies then it could have been Gray Jay.
>
> Common names were rarely, if ever, universal so that fact that Wi-akajak,
> W=C3=ACsakedj=C3=A0k, W=C4=ABhsakec=C4=81hkw, Wiisagejaak, Inktonme, Nana=
bozho, Whiskey Jack,
> Camp Robber, Gray Jay, Meat Bird, White-headed Jay, Oregon Jay and numero=
us
> others have been used to identify this species is not important to this
> discussion. What is important is that not only is Gray Jay a bland,
> non-inspiring choice of an English name for such a great bird but in its
> current form it is spelled incorrectly for Canadian consumption. The Fren=
ch
> name has it right, M=C3=A9sangeai du Canada and it=E2=80=99s time the Eng=
lish name moved
> out of the last century and into the present one.
>
> I have to agree with Wayne. To paraphrase Frodo Baggins, the name was
> taken and hidden away, never to be spoken of again. However, like that
> famous gold ring he was speaking of, Canada Jay keeps popping up again in
> the memory of Canadian birders.
>
> There are few enough birds with Canada as part of their name but a whole
> lot with American. I know it is SUPPOSED to stand for North American but =
> always imagine American (as in the United States of AMERICA) Ornithologis=
ts
> quietly laughing about it behind closed doors. Would bringing the number =
of
> birds with Canada in their name back up to the enormous total of three
> really be that much of a crime?
>
> I'll tell you what=E2=80=A6 why don't we offer an exchange? The AMERICAN
> Ornithologists Union can reinstate Canada Jay to its rightful place in th=
> pantheon of bird names and we will 'sacrifice' Canada Goose to them. They
> can call the illustrious poop factory Gray Goose or even American Goose i=
> they'd like.
>
> All the best,
>
> Lance
>
> Lance Laviolette
> Glen Robertson, Ontario

nature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div dir=
ake Rd Brookfield NS Canada B0N1C0<br>902-893-0253<br><a href=3D"mailto:bir=
dvet@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blank">helene.birdvet@gmail.com</a><br><a href=
div><div>Find us on <a href=3D"https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cobequid-Wild=
life-Rehabilitation-Centre/134671693239334" target=3D"_blank">Facebook</a>=
=C2=A0and <a href=3D"https://twitter.com/CobequiWildlife" target=3D"_blank"=
, Lance <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lance.laviolette@lmco.com" =
target=3D"_blank">lance.laviolette@lmc