[NatureNS] Isle Haute CBC interview Bill Casey

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 05:17:17 +0000

he museums in Halifax (and might be on this list - I
Hi Andrew, others,
As a matter of interest, where does the 7500 years isolation come from?  It sounds more recent than the time since the island would have emerged initially from the last ice age.

Is the idea that sea level was so low say 10,000 years ago that the mice could have come up from the south as ice retreated north, and could have moved around freely including getting to Isle Haute, because sea level was much lower? And that 7500 b.p. is the estimated time that sea level had risen sufficiently to cut off the island? I couldn’t find this in skimming the report on your 1997 expedition.

Thanks for the link to the 1997 expedition report.  I checked it for invertebrates and this led to a reference, new to me, Wygodzinsky & Schmidt (1980), who had surveyed the Atlantic coast from here down to about New York for (wingless) jumping bristletails.  They conclude that two species including the one found widely here, Petrobius brevistylis, are European aliens.  The claim is that these could not plausibly have just floated here, so likely came in on sailing ships that traded on this coast for the last few hundred years, on ballast that they then dumped — sea shore rocks (our bristletail's normal habitat, plus littoral cliffs).  This idea apparently came earlier in a book by Carl Lindroth (1957, not 1967) who seems not to have been convinced of continental drift. He was looking for explanations for how similar/identical insects could exist on both sides of the Atlantic: the ballast rock idea obviously might work in the case of wingless apterygotes.  Presumably it could be supported (or not) now by RNA identity analysis from P. brevistylis on both sides of the pond.
Steve (Hfx)