[NatureNS] still supplementing the Sapsucker

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay135@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 08:17:50 -0400

&lt;p&
--------------D47AA599C35AFCF7D833619E

Re your enquiry about tree creepers, I usually have at least one around
every winter, but this year have had two for the past couple of months
busy going up and down the trunk of the tree where I hang my feeders.
Other current 'regulars' are the usual gold and purple finches, hairy
and downy woodpeckers,chickadees. nuthatches, bluejays, mourning doves
and occasional pheasants,(plus one redwing blackbird 17th Dec followed
by a brief visit from a large flock of bohemian waxwings on 31st
December). Also one sharp-shinned hawk attack 2nd Feb (bluejay fatality).

Eleanor Lindsay

Seabright St Margarets Bay

Donna Crossland wrote:

> Take it easy on the shovelling, Paul.  The snow that is piled up over the bases of my windows in the valley is about as high as I have ever seen it since we’ve been living here.
>

> I think some people get brown creepers at their feeders.  (Maybe someone will tell me.)  I am missing that species here.  There is nothing like the male’s sudden cheerful-sounding song in a spruce-hemlock stand in early spring.   Maybe if we can allow more forest to grow near the house, we’ll get some.  It’s still pretty open around here, and I am sure the sapsucker would like for us to recreate the woodland that would have been here some 400 years ago.  We’ve added a pond last year so that should help the tree swallows in their nest boxes this year.  You can keep your black ducks though, at least for now.
>

> There seem to be an ever-growing number of goldfinches.  Maybe that’s because we are growing more shrubbery than trees in NS?  The evening grosbeaks are here and gone each day.  No red polls this year.
>

> The suet mixed with black oil sunflwr seed is in high demand today.  The sapsucker fed early and left.  I don’t think he liked like spending time with some 20 twittering goldfinches, several purple finches, and even a couple of blackbirds (females).
>
> Must run and listen to the Stewart McLean special on CBC.  We lost another good one.
>

> Donna

  <head>
  </head>
        have at least one around every winter, but this year have had
        two for the past couple of months busy going up and down the
        trunk of the tree where I hang my feeders. Other current
        'regulars' are the usual gold and purp</font>le finches, hairy
      and downy woodpeckers,chickadees. nuthatches, bluejays, mourning
      doves and occasional pheasants,(plus one redwing blackbird 17th
      Dec followed by a brief visit from a large flock of bohemian
      waxwings on 31st December). Also one sharp-shinned hawk attack 2nd
      Feb (bluejay fatality).</p>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Take it easy on the shovelling, Paul.  The snow that is piled up over the bases of my windows in the valley is about as high as I have ever seen it since we’ve been living here.