[NatureNS] Saw-whet Owl Calling in Bedford

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 03:43:41 +0000
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a11414d70e415020549b73c64

Yesterday evening was indeed beautifully clear, and we went up to the woods
on the South mountain near Gaspereau to listen. The starry sky was
fantastic, with Orion and Taurus almost filling the sky, and the milky way
visible. A pair of Barred owls were hooting away to each other somewhere
close by, and finally I finished off my winter bird list with a Saw-whet
sounding like a truck backing up in the distant woods. There was no wind,
and no sign of any human activity except the occasional passing plane high
up with the stars. A perfect way to end a winter bird list and a good
addition 3 hours before the end of February.

Richard

--
Richard stern Sent from Gmail Mobile On my IPhone

--001a11414d70e415020549b73c64

woods on the South mountain near Gaspereau to listen. The starry sky was fa=
ntastic, with Orion and Taurus almost filling the sky, and the milky way vi=
sible. A pair of Barred owls were hooting away to each other somewhere clos=
e by, and finally I finished off my winter bird list with a Saw-whet soundi=
ng like a truck backing up in the distant woods. There was no wind, and no =
sign of any human activity except the occasional passing plane high up with=
 the stars. A perfect way to end a winter bird list and a good addition 3 h=
> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca">plchalmers@ns.sympatico=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u class=3D"gmai=
l_msg"></u>
   =20
=20
=20
   Yesterday evening (28 Feb.)=C2=A0 I went over to my family home in Bedfo=
rd about 7 p.m.=C2=A0 I stood outside for a few minutes to enjoy the clear =
night sky, and the lovely view of a crescent moon close to Venus.=C2=A0 Whi=
le I relaxed and observed, I slowly realized that I could hear a Saw-whet O=
wl calling from the wooded hillside above me!=C2=A0 It continued for more t=
han five minutes.
   =C2=A0
   We have had Barred Owls occasionally in our woods over the years, but ne=
ver, to my knowledge, a Saw-whet.=C2=A0 It makes me look forward to Owl=C2=
=A0 Survey Season - only a month away.
   =C2=A0
   Cheers,
   =C2=A0