[NatureNS] waxwings & crab-apples in Wolfville + robins

From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 18:55:36 -0300
Cc: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Today was the day for the annual late-winter discovery by waxwings in central downtown Wolfville of the single tree full of crab-apples — 30+ Bohemian waxwings today in late afternoon — I was able to view them at very close range, and also mention to oblivious passers-by on the sidewalk about missing the annual show.

I always refer to the crab-apples as “Dave Webster’s crab-apples”, since it was he who badgered me to get him specimens of the flowers and then the fruits several years ago.  The single tree is right across Main St. from Muddie’s Convenience Store.

Also, both today and yesterday, there were about 20 or more American robins, perhaps new arrivals?, on the Acadia Univ. campus, foraging (for worms??) on small tracts of lawn that were exposed by hot-water pipes just underground there, just west of the Acadia Library.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.