[NatureNS] Tree swallows

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 13:36:46 -0300

We have had a couple passes from Tree swallows this week, in White Point,
Queens. This am as I was sitting outside with my tea, we had a couple
checking out, feeding and even taking pine needles into the house over the
grape vine. They were quite aware of me and my moving about and paid little
heed so I expect they have been here before. What is of particular interest
to me is that is usually the last house to be occupied. We almost didn't put
it back after cleaning it a short while ago.
I checked at the Meadow Pond, Wednesday, to see if there were many there,
feeding but none. There were a couple Red winged Blackbirds and a bird
calling. That call was similar to the call I heard when the Chaffinch was
here. It isn't quite the same as online, but close. Maybe the bird went
there. Whatever, there was no reply I could hear.

With the warmth today, I expect the Swallows  will move in there soon, what
few are left. I worry about that as they often feed at the bridge over the
Mill Brook and they are struck as cars step on it coming from town. Crows
hang out there so it is hard to get a toll but maybe one really doesn't want
to know. I asked at a signage meeting could we put up signs for the turtles
and the birds. The man answering laughed. I was hard put not to do violence
on him.
We will be doing another run to the compost yard in Western Head in a bit so
I will check the Pond again on our way out.

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please