[NatureNS] tree swallows return

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 23:20:31 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0106_01D2B575.B6482C30

Early this morning was sunny and warm in Tupperville.  When I first stepped
outside, I was greeted only by a singing white-breasted nuthatch,
chickadees, and a noisy male ring-necked pheasant who has taken up residency
in our pasture once again.  There were lots of twittering gold finches, and
two male cardinals visiting the feeder.  Downy and hairy woodpeckers.
Frustratingly, the starlings are already busy in the power pole in the front
yard, though I hear that NS Power will place "putty" in the cavities to
evade such birds.  I am left wondering if this would be helpful, or if these
birds would simply find another cavity and displace our native (and better
behaved) cavity-nesting birds.

Mid-morning, I returned outside to hear the boisterous calling of tree
swallows, three pairs returned and already swooping about the tree swallow
houses.  Nice!  I presume this was the first hour of their return, though
perhaps they made a stop-over in Yarmouth or the Annapolis Basin on their
return to 'fuel up'.  They are hard to miss in the back yard and lovely to
host once again.  We'll put up more nest boxes for them this year, to add to
the four boxes we already have.  The boxes were freshly cleaned last week,
just in time!

Spring is here!

Donna Crossland

------=_NextPart_000_0106_01D2B575.B6482C30

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 12 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Early this =
morning was sunny and warm in Tupperville.&nbsp; When I first stepped =
outside, I was greeted only by a singing white-breasted nuthatch, =
chickadees, and a noisy male ring-necked pheasant who has taken up =
residency in our pasture once again.&nbsp; There were lots of twittering =
gold finches, and two male cardinals visiting the feeder.&nbsp; Downy =
and hairy woodpeckers.&nbsp; Frustratingly, the starlings are already =
busy in the power pole in the front yard, though I hear that NS Power =
will place &#8220;putty&#8221; in the cavities to evade such =
birds.&nbsp; I am left wondering if this would be helpful, or if these =
birds would simply find another cavity and displace our native (and =
better behaved) cavity-nesting birds.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Mid-morning, =
I returned outside to hear the boisterous calling of tree swallows, =
three pairs returned and already swooping about the tree swallow =
houses.&nbsp; Nice!&nbsp; I presume this was the first hour of their =
return, though perhaps they made a stop-over in Yarmouth or the =
Annapolis Basin on their return to &#8216;fuel up&#8217;.&nbsp; They are =
hard to miss in the back yard and lovely to host once again.&nbsp; =
We&#8217;ll put up more nest boxes for them this year, to add to the =
four boxes we already have.&nbsp; The boxes were freshly cleaned last =
week, just in time!<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Spring is =
here!<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
------=_NextPart_000_0106_01D2B575.B6482C30--