[NatureNS] FOY Blue-headed Vireo - Somerset NS

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 13:10:58 -0300

ood number of people in the Maritimes working on Blackpoll Mi

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01D2BDC5.61AB9F10

Hi Keith, Rick, Lance, and all,

By the end of May, many neotropical migrants are in a hurry to arrive on
their breeding grounds in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Even at this late
date, they seem to wait until they get to downeast Maine or the Passaquoddy
region of New Brunswick to cross to Nova Scotia. At this link,
http://www.thenaturalistsnotebook.com/our-blog/migrating-bird-fallout-on-mac
hias-seal-island, you can see compelling photographs of a fallout 24 May
2011 on Machias Seal Island which is located about a third of the way across
the mouth of the Bay of Fundy, approximately 60 km from the west end of
Brier Island. The photos highlight the critical role of our coastal islands,
headlands, and peninsulas in the survival of birds during their migratory
flights.

John