[NatureNS] World Environment Day

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <Neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 14:13:25 +0000

--_000_DM5PR16MB14499CF30C5AD89F5907FC3DD1CA0DM5PR16MB1449namp_

Happy World Environment Day, everyone.

 Despite all the problems, it's still worth celebrating.  As Randy Bachman =
might say: "Do something green today!"

Of course, we need to do this every day, but it helps to have days like thi=
s and Earth Day to get us to focus our thoughts on what we can do.

It seems to me that there are no magic solutions, but one thing that could =
go far to reducing the harm we do would be to make environmental impact ass=
essment (EIA) a part of all planning of policies or activities.  The extent=
 of such assessment should be proportional to the impact - insisting on a f=
ull study with hearings for major developments impacting natural areas or p=
utting a few minutes' thought into what we buy at the store.

  Of course, the more we understand and appreciate the natural world, the b=
etter these decisions are likely to be.  And never believe the statement by=
 project proponents that there is no environmental impact.  Everything we d=
o has some impact - it may be negative, positive, some combination of the t=
wo, or insignificant, but making its consideration automatic could prevent =
a lot of damage.

Cheers,

Wayne Neily

Tremont, NS

--_000_DM5PR16MB14499CF30C5AD89F5907FC3DD1CA0DM5PR16MB1449namp_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;" dir=3D"ltr">
andy Bachman might say: &quot;Do something green today!&quot;&nbsp;
this and Earth Day to get us to focus our thoughts on what we can do.</p>
ld go far to reducing the harm we do would be to make environmental impact =
assessment (EIA) a part of all planning of
 proportional to the impact - insisting on a full study with hearings for m=
ajor developments impacting natural areas or putting a few minutes' thought=
 into what we buy at the store.</span></p>
d, the better these decisions are likely to be.&nbsp; And never believe the=
 statement by project proponents&nbsp;that there is no environmental impact=
.&nbsp; Everything we do has some impact - it may be
 negative, positive, some combination of the two, or insignificant, but mak=
ing its consideration automatic could prevent a lot of damage.</p>

--_000_DM5PR16MB14499CF30C5AD89F5907FC3DD1CA0DM5PR16MB1449namp_--