[NatureNS] Alton area bird sightings required

From: "David Currie" <david_currie@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NSRBA" <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 18:15:56 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D2E083.45F57EE0

Hi everyone...

This was sent in from  Alana Westwood today asking for anyone who may be =
birding in the Stewiacke area to contact Robin Tress if you can help and =
to obtain additional information on the target areas. =20

=93The Alton Natural Gas Storage project plans to build massive =
underground salt caverns to store natural gas near Stewiacke, Nova =
Scotia, as well as a pipeline to transport gas to and from the caverns. =
The pipeline route currently intersects the Stewiacke River Wilderness =
Area and the St. Andrew=92s River Wilderness Area, as well as crossing =
under the Stewiacke River and many wetlands. This area has a huge =
biodiversity potential, the ecotype is underrepresented in Nova =
Scotia=92s protected areas, and preliminary surveys completed in Summer =
2006 found nearly 70 species along the proposed route.=20

These surveys were completed over 10 years ago, and the company has not =
yet attained all the permissions necessary for the project. This =
ecosystem provides unique habitat for many bird species, and we would =
like your help conducting surveys of the area! We=92ll use the data =
collected to improve our understanding of the area, its value for =
biodiversity, and our ability to engage in discussions about conditions =
approvals.=94

It would be very helpful to record your sightings on eBird as a way of =
coordinating the results.

For more information contact:=20

Robin Tress
rtress@canadians.org
902 422 7811

Big thanks from the Council of Canadians and Ecology Action Centre!

Alana Westwood, PhD
Instructor, Dalhousie University
Contributing Scientist, Boreal Avian Modelling Project

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D2E083.45F57EE0

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Hi everyone...</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">This was sent in from&nbsp; Alana =
Westwood today=20
asking for anyone who may be birding in the Stewiacke area to contact =
Robin=20
Tress if you can help and to obtain additional information on the target =

areas.&nbsp; </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">=93The Alton Natural Gas Storage =
project plans to=20
build massive underground salt caverns to store natural gas near =
Stewiacke, Nova=20
Scotia, as well as a pipeline to transport gas to and from the caverns. =
The=20
pipeline route currently intersects the Stewiacke River Wilderness Area =
and the=20
St. Andrew=92s River Wilderness Area, as well as crossing under the =
Stewiacke=20
River and many wetlands. This area has a huge biodiversity potential, =
the=20
ecotype is underrepresented in Nova Scotia=92s p<SPAN=20
class=3Dtext_exposed_show>rotected areas, and preliminary surveys =
completed in=20
Summer 2006 found nearly 70 species along the proposed route. =
</SPAN></FONT></P>
<DIV class=3Dtext_exposed_show>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">These surveys were completed over 10 =
years ago,=20
and the company has not yet attained all the permissions necessary for =
the=20
project. This ecosystem provides unique habitat for many bird species, =
and we=20
would like your help conducting surveys of the area! We=92ll use the =
data=20
collected to improve our understanding of the area, its value for =
biodiversity,=20
and our ability to engage in discussions about conditions =
approvals.=94</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">It would be very helpful to record =
your=20
sightings on eBird as a way of coordinating the results.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">For more information contact: =
</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Robin =
Tress<BR>rtress@canadians.org<BR>902 422=20
7811</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Big thanks from the Council of =
Canadians and=20
Ecology Action Centre!</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman">Alana Westwood, PhD<BR>Instructor, =
Dalhousie=20
University<BR>Contributing Scientist, Boreal Avian Modelling=20
Project</FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV=20
style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: =
#000000">&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D2E083.45F57EE0--