[NatureNS] Thread-Index: AQHS9bUf8T0mnd+GDEmawxjWrSaVBQ==

From: Keith Lowe <mythos25@live.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 18:24:29 +0000

--_000_CY4PR13MB143172979ABDDB63C3D9E08FB0D40CY4PR13MB1431namp_

All I use is a 47 page PDF (I must sent it to you!). However you don=92t ha=
ve to study it. 90+ % of the codes are logical so all you need to do is use=
 it as reference to memorize the exceptions. Just learn the ones for next c=
hecklist=97most follow the pattern of:
--first four letters for one word species such as BOBO for Bobolink
--the first  two letters or each word for two worded species such as SOSP f=
or Song Sparrow
-- first letter of the first two words in a three worded species followed b=
y the first two letters in the last word such as BBCU for Black-billed Cuck=
oo

So once you think you know the code, search the code in the PDF to see if y=
ou=92re right. If the code is an exception then you know that is one you ne=
ed to remember. Such as TRES for Tree Swallow. Hint=97Tree, Barn and Bank a=
ll follow a patter of first 3 letters of the first word followed by S for t=
he 4th letter. The first few checklists would take the longest but just don=
=92t try to learn them all at once.

The alpha codes are handy for sharing lists and best of all for entering yo=
ur checklist into eBird. In eBird, type the code into the jump box in the u=
pper right and hit tab when your species pops up. Type in the number of spe=
cies then hit J to jump back to the jump to type in the code for the next s=
pecies. If you want to enter a comment or breeding code hit SPACE after you=
 type in the number of species, then hit TAB when you=92re done and J to ju=
mp back to the jump box. These hotkeys do not work in all browsers.

Keith

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D550986> for Window=
s 10