[NatureNS] A Hopeful Perspective on NS Forestry

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 16:49:00 -0400

      &
On 7/26/2017 4:26 PM, plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

> Aldo Leopold's style may not be to your taste, Dave, but he was an early
> voice in proposing conservation.  Have you ever read any of the essays
> of Wendell Berry?  I'd recommend his earlier collections, beginning with
> The Unsettling of America (1977) and The Gift of Good Land (1981).   The
> Library at Acadia has some of his books.

* and for how Leopold's generation worked in Canada -
http://www.cowantherealthing.com/ - the recently published biography of
Ian McTaggart Cowen, including his lament for the dams on the Peace
River, including the hopefully-now-to-be-cancelled Site C.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
            Fragile Inheritance Natural History
for our annual letter, click '2016' at http://pinicola.ca/aboutus.htm
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
    on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44.87156°N 75.70095°W