[NatureNS] Medeola virginica, Wild Cucumber, Cucumber Root, Mi'kmaw Cucumber

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 10:41:46 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e08205ee08eb46a0555eda874

I have never wondered where the name *Medeola* comes from. It comes from
Medea the sorceress as the link from Illinois suggests.
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/ind_cukeroot.html

I suggested that it might be an indicator of mature forest process from
mentally integrating observations that it does not occur in regenerating
woodland where the first colonists after farmland succeeds to woodland are
typically wild lily of the valley and the starflower followed by *Aralia
nudicaulis* (wild sarsparilla) whose seeds may be unloaded in shovelfuls by
bears. I mentioned that I had fallen in love again with Keji because as we
ruin our woodlands and as Donna says, habitats for songbirds in a race
among the ruins to the bottom for woodchips, Keji becomes an island of
another way forward for Nova Scotia, a way that would champion a
sustainable relationship with nature. We met travellers from Germany and
England in Keji who marvelled at our province but I had to be frank and say
that we are losing it as fast as they can chip it.

There are exceptions to all of our generalizations but it is important to
seek out indicators of process..shade and moisture..and then use these as
markers for the integrity of the system. I applaud Donna here who has been
long been fighting forest abuse and finding indicators of healthy forest.
After a day's walk over forests that were in various stages of
regeneration, I came across in the afternoon's sun, the only patch of
Cucumber Root for the day. It was in full sun and wilting and dying. Round
abouts, Bunchberry was thriving. These are process indicators. As
naturalists we have stores of observations that need sifting to get general
patterns. There will be exceptions and these help refine our understanding.

Over the past years, the need for me-too recognition has made some of us
--me included--want to champion the exceptions and this is ok as long as we
are contributing to an understanding of how nature works that will help us
conserve the natural treasures around us. Nova Scotia is still a
destination for natural world experiences but Kejimkujic cannot shoulder
the exhibit alone. As a newcomer 50 years ago, I can tell you that the
state of the natural world in NS has declined faster and more profoundly
than in my previous homeland, Devon. Nova Scotia appeared a vast tract of
woodland with fishermen's (fishers) paths as access along side the rivers
in 1967. Devon has long been parcelled off and it features hedges and farms
and little wooded patches and cutover moorland and sheepland, and this has
not changed much.

Nick

--
Dr. N.M.Hill
Fern Hill Institute of Plant Conservation

phone 902-698-0416

--089e08205ee08eb46a0555eda874

he name <i>Medeola</i> comes from. It comes from Medea the sorceress as the=
 link from Illinois suggests.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default"><a hr=
ef=3D"http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/ind_cukeroot.html=
">http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/ind_cukeroot.html</a>=
 suggested that it might be an indicator of mature forest process from ment=
ally integrating observations that it does not occur in regenerating woodla=
nd where the first colonists after farmland succeeds to woodland are typica=
lly wild lily of the valley and the starflower followed by <i>Aralia nudica=
ulis</i> (wild sarsparilla) whose seeds may be unloaded in shovelfuls by be=
ars. I mentioned that I had fallen in love again with Keji because as we ru=
in our woodlands and as Donna says, habitats for songbirds in a race among =
the ruins to the bottom for woodchips, Keji becomes an island of another wa=
y forward for Nova Scotia, a way that would champion a sustainable relation=
ship with nature. We met travellers from Germany and England in Keji who ma=
rvelled at our province but I had to be frank and say that we are losing it=
alizations but it is important to seek out indicators of process..shade and=
 moisture..and then use these as markers for the integrity of the system. I=
 applaud Donna here who has been long been fighting forest abuse and findin=
g indicators of healthy forest. After a day&#39;s walk over forests that we=
re in various stages of regeneration, I came across in the afternoon&#39;s =
sun, the only patch of Cucumber Root for the day. It was in full sun and wi=
lting and dying. Round abouts, Bunchberry was thriving. These are process i=
ndicators. As naturalists we have stores of observations that need sifting =
to get general patterns. There will be exceptions and these help refine our=
s=3D"gmail_default">Over the past years, the need for me-too recognition ha=
s made some of us --me included--want to champion the exceptions and this i=
s ok as long as we are contributing to an understanding of how nature works=
 that will help us conserve the natural treasures around us. Nova Scotia is=
 still a destination for natural world experiences but Kejimkujic cannot sh=
oulder the exhibit alone. As a newcomer 50 years ago, I can tell you that t=
he state of the natural world in NS has declined faster and more profoundly=
 than in my previous homeland, Devon. Nova Scotia appeared a vast tract of =
woodland with fishermen&#39;s (fishers) paths as access along side the rive=
rs in 1967. Devon has long been parcelled off and it features hedges and fa=
rms and little wooded patches and cutover moorland and sheepland, and this =
one 902-698-0416</div>

--089e08205ee08eb46a0555eda874--