[NatureNS] eBird Privacy

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: <Becky.Whittam@ec.gc.ca>, <dlepage@birdscanada.org>,
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 09:16:50 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D30D02.6875E990

Hi All,

Yesterday, I was asked in an email from Dr. Howie Harshaw, a professor at
the University of Alberta, to complete an online survey about birding and
the conservation of wetlands. It was noted that I was chosen to do this
survey because I use eBird. While completing the survey, I became concerned
that the stated objectives of the questionnaire were not fully transparent,
especially when I was queried as to my willingness to pay user fees to
birdwatch on public or private wetlands.

How did Dr. Harshaw get my (and other naturens users) name and email address
from eBird? When I log on to eBird and click on the My eBird tab, there is
at the bottom of the right menu, under Account Settings, My eBird
Preferences, which allows me to control if or what part of my eBird data can
be viewed publicly. This concerns only data privacy. However, if I go to the
About tab, and click on Privacy Policy on the right menu, I find the
following statement: "If you submit an unusual observation, our team or
regional editors may e-mail you to request more details, but your email
address and contact information will not be sold or distributed outside the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Audubon and eBird partners in regions where you
are participating." I assume in this case, eBird and it's Canadian partner,
Bird Studies Canada, has decided that Dr. Harshaw at the University of
Alberta is also an eBird partner and have shared our names and email
addresses with him.

Who is Dr. Harshaw and what is his research about? According to his profile
page on the University of Alberta website: "This project is being conducted
on behalf of the North American Waterfowl Management Plan, a trilateral
agreement between Canada, the US, and Mexico; I am working with Environment
Canada and the Canadian Wildlife Service on the project to better inform the
management and planning of waterfowl and wetlands across jurisdictions. This
project will influence national (and international) policy and management
strategies for the conservation and stewardship."

I am copying this email to Dr. Harshaw and other partners in the study,
Environment and Climate Change Canada, and eBird.

John

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D30D02.6875E990

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Hi =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>Yesterday, I =
was asked in an email from Dr. Howie Harshaw, a professor at the =
University of Alberta, to complete an online survey about birding and =
the conservation of wetlands. It was noted that I was chosen to do this =
survey because I use eBird. While completing the survey, I became =
concerned that the stated objectives of the questionnaire were not fully =
transparent, especially when I was queried as to my willingness to pay =
user fees to birdwatch on public or private =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p>&nbsp;</=
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>How did Dr. =
Harshaw get my (and other naturens users) name and email address from =
eBird? When I log on to eBird and click on the My eBird tab, there is at =
the bottom of the right menu, under Account Settings, My eBird =
Preferences, which allows me to control if or what part of my eBird data =
can be viewed publicly. This concerns only data privacy. However, if I =
go to the About tab, and click on Privacy Policy on the right menu, I =
find the following statement: &#8220;</span>If you submit an unusual =
observation, our team or regional editors may e-mail you to request more =
details, but your email address and contact information will not be sold =
or distributed outside the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Audubon and eBird =
partners in regions where you are participating.&#8221; I assume in this =
case, eBird and it&#8217;s Canadian partner, Bird Studies Canada, has =
decided that Dr. Harshaw at the University of Alberta is also an eBird =
partner and have shared our names and email addresses with =
him.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Who is Dr. Harshaw and what is his research about? =
According to his profile page on the University of Alberta website: =
&#8220;This project is being conducted on behalf of the North American =
Waterfowl Management Plan, a trilateral agreement between Canada, the =
US, and Mexico; I am working with Environment Canada and the Canadian =
Wildlife Service on the project to better inform the management and =
planning of waterfowl and wetlands across jurisdictions. This project =
will influence national (and international) policy and management =
strategies for the conservation and stewardship.&#8221;<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I am copying =
this email to Dr. Harshaw and other partners in the study, Environment =
and Climate Change Canada, and eBird.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>John<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal> <span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'><o:p></o:p></=
------=_NextPart_000_0003_01D30D02.6875E990--