[NatureNS] RE: Black-legged Tick and late fall

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 04:20:27 +0000

	{m
--_000_BLUPR11MB046866228715CB87F7651E7CB58B0BLUPR11MB0468namp_

Hi all:

Andrew Hebda suggested that maybe the northern gannet had brought the black=
-legged ticks with it.  When carrying the bird this is when the ticks seeme=
d to show up, so it is possible that the person who ended up with lyme dise=
ase and my assumption that the ticks came from the grass is wrong.  This po=
ssibility set me to thinking.  Has any work been done to determine if black=
-legged ticks can spread lymes disease to larger birds?  If it can, then ma=
ybe this would explain why so many northern gannets are showing up as ill t=
his year.  I haven't had time to google to even see this as a possibility, =
but if anyone has any insight I'm sure all would be interested.

James R. Hirtle

LaHave