[NatureNS] RE: insect repellents US review

From: "Laviolette, Lance" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:27:21 +0000

--_000_990B3EE94E8A61448C998FEBAEAFC0241F2B3785HCXDSPM2calmcoc_

Hi Stephen,

I agree the list looks US-centric. For example, I don't see Muskol on the l=
ist of products.

The following is a list of repellent active ingredients and their effective=
ness from Health Canada:

*         Deet - 'Insect' repellent

*         Icaridin - Mosquitoes and ticks

*         Soybean oil - Mosquitoes and blackflies.

*         Citronella oil - Mosquitoes.

*         Metofluthrin - Mosquitoes. Some of these products also repel blac=
kflies.

*         P-Menthane-3,8-diol (and related oil of lemon eucalyptus compound=
s) repel mosquitoes. Some products also repel blackflies.

*         Mixture of essential oils (a mixture of lemon, eucalyptus, pine n=
eedle, geranium and camphor essential oils) - Mosquitoes.

Products they list as not being very effective or long-lasting are:

*         citrosa houseplants

*         odour-baited mosquito traps

*         electronic or ultrasonic devices

*         electrocuting devices, like bug zappers

*         skin moisturizer or sunscreen combined with insect repellent (pro=
ducts that combine skin moisturizer and insect repellent are not approved i=
n Canada)

*         wristbands, neckbands and ankle bands that contain repellents

Cheers,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario